Friday, November 04, 2005

To my Paatti

Grandmas & Grandpas are the most loving human beings. Well, I have heard and seen some who don't like to have any relationship with their grandchildren. But, there are some who are the epitome of love and sacrifice. My Grandmother was one such person. From the day I knew here, she was a slim and tall woman who ate a hearty meal and worked around the house like a superwoman. She seemed to know the answer to everything. Since she lost her husband soon after she gave birth to my chitti (my mother's younger sister), she was always with us. Since my mom was working my "Paatti" (Grandma) literally brought me up. For a long time I called her 'amma'. My mom told me that, before I was born she took care of many of her sister's kids too. Her name was Rajalakshmi but I shortened it and called her Raajathi (special one). She used to tell me stories about pre-independent INDIA. About how Gandhi came to Pazani and her dad took her along with her brothers and sisters to see him. She learnt car driving, when to school, knew to write in English and was very good at singing and playing the violin. She told me stories about how Sankaracharyar (religious leader) came to my great grandpa's house and she sang in front of him.
She had a Paai (Indian carpet) and a thin pillow. She strictly slept only on the paai during lunch time. During my vacation days I used to lie down next to her and ask her to repeat all the stories over and over again. She never got bored of entertaining her grandchildren. Every summer vacation my cousins came over. We were all under my Paatti's loving care. We threw caution to the wind and had a great time knowing that our paatti would prepare delicious lunch, tiffin and murukkus. She cleaned up after the mess we made. Ofcourse, after giving us a sermon on how kids should behave. She was very strict about girls not playing outside after 6:00 PM. Her saying was "Girls should not play when ghosts play" (Translated from "paye vilayadar nerathula penn vilayada kudathu"). I was expected to wash my face, comb my hair and say my evening prayers at 6:00 PM. I could go on and on about her.
Since I was her firstborn grandchild we had a special bond. My relationship with my paatti continued even when I left home for college. I went home every month to have a great time with my family & Paatti. I looked forward to the special dinner she cooked for me when I went home. By now she had lost most of her teeth and was wearing a "Pallu Set" (set of artificial teeth that could be removed). She removed her teeth before she went to sleep every night. She had this routine of soaking it in soap water to clean it which we found very amusing.
My life moved on, I got a job and started traveling. Since we moved closer to my chitti she spent equal time at both her daughter's house. I got to spend lesser time with her but she was still me darling paatti and I her darling pethi (granddaughter). I went for an 1 year assignment to UK and when I got back, my patti, brother & I went on a vacation to Ooty. We had a very good time but she had become old by then and could not stand the cold weather in ooty. Little did I know that it was to be our last vacation together. Soon after we came back I went on a business trip to Delhi. 2 days into my stay at Delhi, while I was meeting some clients, I received a "urgent" phone call from my parents saying that my paatti had a heart attack and was serious. In a split second it seemed like everything around me was in a standstill and I could hear only my parent's voice. I could not control my tears. My colleagues arranged for a immediate flight back to my hometown. When I saw her in the hospital she looked like a withered leaf. Here eyes widened when she saw me but she could not speak as she had the oxygen mask over her head. I sat outside praying to god to keep her alive. I wanted her to be around for my marriage (which was not fixed by then). I felt she deserved the right to see my marriage after bringing me up and taking care of me. But god probably felt that she needed some rest too. After years of taking care of her kids, grandkids and so many others, it was her turn to rest in peace. I will never forget my paatti who was & is the epitome of love and sacrifice.

4 comments:

Survivor said...

A very touching blog Pads.Having seen and known your love for your Paati,I can appreciate this blog more.

bumblebee said...

This is very moving.

BrainWaves said...

All I could think while reading this article was my paatti. They certainly are very special

sdpal said...

All I can say is a heartfelted..
Awwww...
Im not a ghost whisperer.. but Im pretty sure, she is watching over and looking out for you.