Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I am what I am

Of late I have started discovering the beauty and freedom one gets from realizing their true self. Until a few years back I had this urge to excel in everything that I did. Obviously this is not humanly possible. One can be good at some things, not so good at some things and bad at some things. But somehow I did not get this for a long time. I would start learning something and expect to excel in it quickly. I would expect my teacher to say that I am her best student and be utterly disappointed when this did not happen. In short I thought I was a super prodigy. I am not sure if I am the only one who felt like this or if I belonged to an unspoken club.

As I started growing up this changed with addition of each year to my age. Once I got past my mid twenties I started seeing the realities in life. My dreams became more practical. The mysterious guy who comes riding in a horse became my husband, I started doing grocery purchase and learnt how to pick the best veggies from the bottom of the pile, I started paying bills and working for it. Suddenly there is no mystery or element of surprise in life. Instead of hoping for my parents to buy something magical I know what I earn and what it can get me.


Soon after One gets to this stage you star realizing that what others think about you is really not important. At least that is what happened to me. I guess this realization comes to different people at different times and depends upon several external forces acting on them. Whenever it does, this realization is liberating. It keeps your mind free and gets your thinking to flow. Now you start concentrating in what you are doing without worrying about the outcome and what others will think about the final product. Invariably you will start performing better. And if its not the best it is OK because you are what you are.

3 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Welcome to "am-kicking", you "are-kicking"..:).. I belong to the un-spoken club myself... In my case, I changed my list to contain only things that I am good at. That way, I am good at everything thats in my list...:)... Great article...Keep writing...

Survivor said...

I agree and most of us do belong to the unspoken club. Realisation and perception changes with age and various real time experiences in life.
And not worrying about others' thought process when you have so many other things to worry about in life is a huge liberation.

I have to admit that I do fantasize sometimes and believe in miracles.I think that is still essential in life.

Hey, We are what we are and no one can change that.
Now, you have really helped me in continuing to be what I am ..:-)

bumblebee said...

Have to congratulate you on achieving something that I am trying hard to achieve. I have met only a handful of people who really don't get concerned about what "others" have to say. I am trying to be one of them too.

I always whine about why people have to act like appointed judges of other people's life. But, I do realize that just as others have the freedom to speak, we have the freedom to ignore :-) I am less perturbed now than I used to be by snide remarks that people sometimes make, but sure have a long way to go!