Wednesday, November 09, 2005

From the Real world into the Reel world

Movies hypnotize me. I am oblivious to what goes on around me when I am watching a good movie. My sensory organs are receptive only to the visions and sounds from the movie. My better half could be screaming my name and I would have no inclination to respond. For the 90/120 mts I forget any event, sad or happy that is going on in my life. It makes no difference to me if a movie is good or bad. I have heard some people say that they stopped watching the movie half way through since it was terrible. I just don't get it! How can you say for sure that the rest of the movie is not going to be good? My tolerance level with movies are high. If I say that a movie is bad it has to be REALLY terrible.

Some movies are sooo good that I feel the emotions that the actors are going through. I cry, laugh, fall in love, dance with them. After watching the movie I have a feeling of riding an emotional roller coaster. Movies can also be an outlet for emotions that you keep locked inside. The cheapest way to get a therapy when you are depressed, get a sad movie. The other day I watched Viruddh which is about old aged parents avenging their son's murder. I wailed through the entire movie. At the end I felt light and refreshed. Instant private therapy for 2$. A movie for every mood.

I don't like to be disturbed when I am watching a movie at home ( a problem you don't gave when you are at the theater). Especially phone calls. Sometimes the phone ring manages to pierce through my movie shield and reach the ear. For a few minutes my mind refuses to accept it. If the caller is persistent enough I get to it and irrespective of who they are, I promise to return the call once the important work I am doing is complete.(survivor, I have never done this to you ). I should get a board reading "Please maintain silence Movie in progress".

For the same reason mentioned in the paragraphs above I don't have cable connection at home. Not because I don't like watching TV or a movie but because I like it so much that I will not able to be do anything else. Now I watch it only when I want to escape from the real world.

4 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I couldnt agree with you more. I have the same habit. "FOCUS" is the key... Somehow, others dont understand it...I can watch the same movie several times and still get deeply engrossed as if I watch it for the first time...:)... I can really see where u stand...

My latest finding in watching movies, especially tamil movies is to watch everyone around the leading actor/actress. It is quite funny...

bumblebee said...

I appreciate the way you watch movies and step into it. I can too, but only if the movie, story and screenplay are captivating enough.

My tolerance level is really low. All it takes is a few illogical scenes and I give up. I understand that even we are not always logical in our lives, so why should we expect that from the characters in movies? I don't know the answer to that!

If a movie is really good, I hate any outside disturbance as well. I don't like talking or listening to anybody outside the movie when I am watching. Of late, it seems poignant movies are better than comedy movies. I love some of the older comedies though, which I can see over and over again.

sdpal said...

Oh man! You stole my blog!
I was thinking of writing this same stuff (well, not exactly the same.. but similar blog). Nice to read the same stuff, thats running on my head.. is running on someone else's head too.
I couldnt agree with you more, on good movie or bad movie theory.

Survivor said...

I like watching movies as long as it is funny.Of late, I prefer comedy with no sense in it than a serious movie.As Iamwhatiam said, it does provide therapy when you are in a bad mood. Same with sitcoms.
Oh! I wish I could escape from the real world into the reel world sometimes.