Friday, March 16, 2007

School Performances

Schools have a method of making every child feel important. In my school, especially in the younger classes, the goal was to get as many children as possible onto the stage. Rounds of auditions were held for roles requiring no dialogues to speak of. The whole process instilled a sense of pride and the camaraderie was memorable. Every child wrote home stating they were to participate in the play on Founder's Day, and parents would take time to gather from all parts of India to see their off-spring shine forth and perform on stage. Well ... not exactly, since most children would be part of a queen's maids or fairies or some such similar thing, and just stand on the stage long enough for a photo-op.

The point is: it was a major highlight in their lives.

As I grew older, and occupied my status as an aunt, I was invited several times to performances of nieces and nephews. One such performance a decade ago still gives me goose-bumps. My niece, V, was to perform on stage as a Sunflower in her nursery school. Preparations were on at a feverish pace. She would sing and practice religiously everyday. Of course, I was there dressed in my best clothes to watch my dear niece perform.

I stepped back-stage before the program started, and wished her luck, before snaking my way through the crowds to an inconspicuous chair in the rear-end of the auditorium.

This is where things start getting interesting.

We were ready for the "Sunflower Song & Dance". V stepped on stage, and the sunflower field was before us. To state it mildly, V's vocal chords are noticeable even in a noisy bunch of first graders. She stepped on stage, scoured the audience and started singing. All this while, she was combing the audience evidently looking for me - her favourite aunt. She spotted me, stopped singing, pointed at me and waved - "Hi chitthi!"

I have never received a nastier jar in my life. I slowly felt the people farm turn and look at me. I started turning red with embarrassment. I could have done the beetroot song and dance just there but I went with sinking as low as possible into my chair, and prayed for the sunflower dance to be over!

What brings these reminiscences back after all these years you might ask - aah a good question. This time, it is the role of my nephew as a clown in his School play, which I will have to miss on account of living half a moon away from him. Nevertheless, I look forward to the narration of the event with gusto. I received a first account from my sister.

Performing is great fun, and an important part of growing up. That letter opened a flood of memories - all pleasant!

8 comments:

Survivor said...

Reminds me of my stage performance where I was the proud wolf with a mask instead of redriding hood.:-). Well....if you ask my sister about my very first time on the stage, she will have a different story ..:-)

BrainWaves said...

I don't have such a good childhood stage performance memory.

My first(and only I think) attempt in my childhood was to sing some rhyme with bunch of other kids. And with all the prepration, I apparently forgot the lines on stage. (maybe sub-consiously that is why I remember all the lyrics in the world these days :) )

Another account also mentions that "I got to go" on the stage and "I did". All I ask is where is the proof!

BTW, "Hi chitthi" incident is very funny everytime!

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I have had my share of stage performances too... I used to be very shy when I had to dance with girls...I look back and wonder why..:)

@saumya: was it your neice or niece? (I had to tell that..;))

Manohar said...

@saumya: rofl- I unfortunately have no stage experience what-so-ever.

nourish-n-cherish said...

Thanks Mindframes...I corrected it.

nourish-n-cherish said...

Hey Brainwaves.....I heard from reliable sources that you started crying on stage because you forgot the lyrics. And I also heard that there were 25 kids singing, so it wouldn't have mattered if you had played basketball on stage.

The "had to go" version is far more interesting ;)

Mad Max said...

whew...the firs time i went on stage...was a fantastic experience...but then hmmm...i have a blog on that...hehehe

sdpal said...

Good one saumya..
Lately all the blog stories are very heart-touchy-touchy