Friday, March 16, 2007

Luck or Fate

We were watching the movie "Poi" yesterday. Prakash Raj , who personifies "Fate" makes a statement ," If something good happens, people call it luck whereas if something bad happens, it is called fate".
This got me thinking about luck. According to M/W, luck is defined as
a: a force that brings good fortune or adversity
b: the events or circumstances that operate for or against an individual
We do have good luck and bad luck.But, we call someone "lucky" only if he/she is blessed with good luck. Why can't someone be bad "lucky" . But, we do symbolize "fate" with bad happenings.We all know fate is inevitable but why should it be linked with disaster and not godsend. Thinking about godsend, some people would call luck as "God's grace". Why do we expect God to always bless us with good occurances in life. Synonymical to good and bad luck, we should expect God's grace to be good and bad.

"Inspite of what fate brings me, with God's grace,I am lucky enough to be happy."

8 comments:

BrainWaves said...

I remember a discussion long back with one of the fellow blogger (sdpal, where is your smart-ass comments :))

"Nattram" in Tamizh means Smell but it is always equated with bad smell.

I also remember reading, lot of negative words like Sinister takes the root word from left hand and positive words came from root word of right hand.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I remember our chemistry teacher back in school who always used to wish everyone "good luck" and she once gave the same reasoning as the blog... For some reason, it stuck to me. I only try to wish people "good luck" from then on...

Manohar said...

@survivor: "Are we lucky enough to be happy" or 'we choose to be happy'?

I have always felt being happy is a choice that we make. I suppose its the same with being positive. Having said that- I also choose to be sad, wallow in self pity, whine and pine sometimes.

Survivor said...

@Mano,
I framed the sentence just to show how those words are used typically.

My personal motto,one which I sincerely follow & preach as well,
"Happiness is a path, not a destination".And so, yes, we choose to be happy .

Manohar said...

@survivor: 'happiness is a path, not a destination'-- whoa!! very deep, i must bit adhichify that for something else :)

Mad Max said...

@ survivor: the arguments are too deep for my mind...somehow i think it is a matter of how we want to feel..hmm...dunno cant think any further...would like to feel happy all the time but then its just not possible i guess...FATE is the easy way out of a bad situation...but if we did not have FATE, there may not be any HOPE for the future and I always believe that when all else is lost we can always hang on to HOPE and maybe, just maybe things will turn around the corner...okie now i'm rambling...fullstop........................

sdpal said...

'happiness is a path, not a destination' - Eppidippa eppidi elaam yosikkireenga ?
(For non-tamil guys - How do you think like this ?)
Good one Survivor!

Survivor said...

Iamwhatiam,
Looks like my "Mirattal" to comment for my blogs is working..LOL :-)