Saturday, March 24, 2007

Remembering Seinfeld

I love watching "Seinfeld" . I think that sitcom portrays human nature very well. It shows that everyone is self-centered . You can see Seinfeld & Elaine talking about their lives, not caring about others, though it is a bit exaggerated. Many a times, we think about our problems while talking to others ,rather than listening. An excerpt from a recent conversation in our house..
I had come home after visiting my doctor.It was a follow up visit and our concern was the medicine dosage.

Sh: Hey, the doc was asking why you didn't come today.
Su: Hmmm......( with a blank look)
Sh: Actually, he told me that he finds you very supportive.
Su: Really...
Sh: I told him you were a very determined, optimistic guy and also about your marathon training.
Su: Cool..Thank you
Sh: Ya, I told him you were a very helpful, supportive husband.
Su: .......
Sh: Do you know what he said for that. He said, "So, he is one of the new breed of Indians. I thought Indian men were very chauvinistic". And I told him you are definitely one of the new kind. Anyway, I asked him about the cyclosporine dosage....

Now, there is a sparkle in "SU"'s eye and the blank look is gone. I was happy that he was at last paying attention once my dosage was mentioned.

Su: Do you think he might have considered me a chauvinistic guy ?
Sh: I don't think so.He said that I can continue with the current dosage as the reading is only slightly below normal.
Su: Hmmm.....( thinking seriously). You know what, I don't think he would have even formed an opinion of me. Maybe, he was just generally asking.
Sh: I think he has better things to worry about than forming an opinion about you.Did you even listen to me talking about the dosage.
Su:Yeah....I heard. Just because I come with you for all your visits does not prove that I am not chauvinistic. So, you never know what he was thinking..

At this point, I got reminded of Seinfeld and burst out laughing .

10 comments:

Manohar said...

A true seinfeld moment. *rofl*

bumblebee said...

Totally in agreement there. Seinfeld does crack me up. No soup for you!

sdpal said...

it will be very interesting, when you can visualize mindframes *blinking* (serious-thinking) look, when you read this..
Good one Shoba and its true that everyone is self-centered to some extent..

Meera Manohar said...

Wonderful post Shoba!!

So true in a lot of scenarios @ our home ( Manohar-- you listening ;-)

nourish-n-cherish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nourish-n-cherish said...

That is so well-written!

Hip Grandma said...

that was interesting.Strange how these men react to opinions about themselves.

Manohar said...

@survivor: one minor nitpick. i believe u mean 'male chauvinism'. since chauvinism by itself just means somebody who has support for a group that they are part of and in general this support is unreasonable and the lack of support for the opposing camp is also unreasonable.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

In my defense, look at the sequence of questions... If the conversation started with the mention of the medicine and if the doc's comment was a side-track, it makes sense...Here, any mention to the medicine happens after a long series of mention about me... It is like typing an entire mail and having a small PS and hope that the PS will get a lot of attention...:)... And knowing survivor, I know that if the dosage had any problem, it would have been mentioned first and not me....So, it is not negligence, it is just understanding...;)

Survivor said...

@mano,
Yes, I presume the doc meant "male chauvinism"

@Mindframes,
LOL...Very good understanding..huh:-)I will use this incident later , as and when needed..:-)