Sunday, October 01, 2006

In Peace

Following is an excerpt from Khalil Gibran's PROPHET about death.

*********************************************************************************

Your fear of death is but the trembling of the shepherd when he stands before the king whose hand is to be laid upon him in honour.

Is the sheered not joyful beneath his trembling, that he shall wear the mark of the king?

Yet is he not more mindful of his trembling?

For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and to melt into the sun?

And what is to cease breathing, but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?

Only when you drink form the river of silence shall you indeed sing.

And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb.

And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.

*******************************************************************************

For the past few weeks, my day always started with Rachel. She was a fellow blogger in my redtoenail site. A young lady of remarkable strength and determination. Her blog was taken over by her mom after she became very sick. She is finally at peace today.Inspite of her illness, she found time to thank everyone who signed in her site and signed in my guestbook. Whenever I felt like whining, all I had to do was think of Rachel and Val, to make me stop worrying about where my career is heading or what others think about me or getting angry over mundane matters. This morning, when I woke up, I knew she was at peace even before I opened her blog.
I dont feel sad, just calm.
http://rachel.redtoenail.org

Just felt like sharing with you all.

7 comments:

BrainWaves said...

I hear you mention Rachel before. It is astonishing to see her inner strength.

She certainly made her mark in this world by spreading the strength and attitude.

May she rest in peace!

nourish-n-cherish said...

I saw her photo, and don't know what to say. May her family cope with her loss, and may her soul rest in peace.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Though one can talk in length about the fate of human life and that death is a certainty, I think we will never understand death unless we lose someone very dear to us. I think, that shocking feeling can neither be comprehended nor be understood by anyone else. Personally, my response to any death is only as much as it would be if it were to happen in a movie. In fact, my response to death in certain movies have been more intense than real life situations...Am I being arrogant, I dont know. Am I being honest? I most definitely am...

All I can hope for is for Rachel's mother and her loved ones to recover soon...

Survivor said...

@Mindframes,
I have never seen a movie so far without crying , especially when there are very intense moments.But, it is tough to imagine being more affected by someone acting dead and someone really dying.But, I do agree that it doesn't affect you as long as the person is not close to you.Maybe, I should not have posted this blog.

Survivor said...

@Mindframes,
I meant that I am the only person who has been following Rachel's saga and no one else here knows her anyway.

Meera Manohar said...

I just read the last post on redtoenail.org

I am sure the Scully's and you Survivor are real proud and blessed to have shared a part of Rachel's life. Now you have those cherished memories to take home with you forever....

PEACE

Mad Max said...

cheezz..just read about Rachel..i'm lost for words..too young to face reality..may her soul rest in peace..

Death..sounds scary but it is reality..somehow the feeling is odd..the only certainty about death is the event called death...the timing and the mode are unpredictable, which is the scary part...my only wish is when it finally does come, let it be really quick...it is tough to imagine the plight of people who can neither live nor die...why go through the pain and suffering...