Monday, October 16, 2006

Meaningless songs etc

I heard a song recently that is in my head all the time. It's from the movie Fanaa and goes something like this. "Chanda Chamke Cham Cham.."

Tongue-twisters - What a brilliant discovery! Thats what this song is all about. There is no meaning in this song. That is not to say it is out-of-context in the movie. Compared to all other meaningless songs (And definitely all songs with double-meanings and vulgarity), this is by far the best it ever got. Tongue Twisters are an excellent passtime (for a few minutes) and also a wonderful ice-breaker. It brought back memories of childhood. My favorite was the cimple - Kaccha Pappad, pakka Pappad.

There are 2 stanzas in this song and I liked the second one which is moderately challenging.
It goes like

Pake ped me paka papeetha, paka ped ya paka papeetha
Pake ped ko pakade pinku, pinku pakade paka papeetha

Talking about Fanaa, the title song brought back other memories too. A line in that movie goes something like this -"...Zidd he ab to khudko mittana, hone hai tujme fanaa..."
And as I was deciding what to make dinner that night, I sang "..Zidd to ab he roti banana, khana hai mujko channa.."

In our hostel, my dear friend and myself would spend time on composing lyrics. We made some that I don't think I'll ever forget. It fits into the Vaa Minima scheme. I would share it, except I don't want to violate any confidentiality rights.

6 comments:

Survivor said...

Bumblebee,
Lovely ! I never noticed that song from Fanaa before. I was more fida over the title song.The Shayaris in the movie were too good. I loved it.My favourite tongue twister has been ,"She sells seashells on the sea shore and the shells she sells are seashells I am sure" 'coz its the only one I can manage too !.
I am already feeling nostalgic thinking about our "Vaa Munima" classics :-).We were pretty good composers then :-)

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

that was a good one ! ROFL...well, not literally...Not that the blog is hilarious enough, but, I am not the type of person who likes to roll on the floor, especially when I am at work...:)

I liked the Shayaris in the movie Fanaa too... Not that I understood it fully, but it did sound very nice...

The only line that stuck to me (almost) from an Hindi movie, ever, is the following line from Baazigar...

"Zindagi mein jeethne keliye, kuch na kuch haarna padtha hei....Usko haar kar jeethne vale ko Baazigar Kehta hei..."

Not that this has any relevance to tongue twisters, but, I had to write down something in Hindi that I know...:)..

BrainWaves said...

Somehow the tamil songs with meaningless lines bugs me big time. It is not an issue with Hindi songs though, since I can only understand the "meaning" of this meaningless songs.

nourish-n-cherish said...

Haa haa!

Betty bought some bitter butter, but the butter was too bitter, so she bought some better butter to make the bitter butter better.

Sea shells was a favorite too.

As for lyrics, I learnt to appreciate the meaning of songs only after my hubby started me off on this track.

Your roti banana, khaana hai channa is cool!

Mad Max said...

hmm not good at deciphering lyrics for songs..but sure can tell u one thing...for meaningless mumbo jumbo look forward to songs from Harris Jayaraj...somehow the guy seems to have a pattern to most of his songs...some meaningless mumbo jumbo at the beginning, end of mebbe thrown in between...the weird thing about that is, some of the songs from the ARR stable are quite similar in terms of style..note that this was the time when Harris was the lead keys player for ARR...now that makes one wonder if some of the hits that we believe belong to ARR actually came from Harris..or is it the other around...for lyrics with absolutely no thought behind it please listen to dark metal or death metal...my oh my, tamil and hindi lyrics sound really sweet...

Meera Manohar said...

Couldn't agree more with Madmax about HJ!! His songs somehow have a penchant for attracting lyricists who can really give life to his songs with meaningless lyrics!!

Some of the lyrics recently that really made my jaw drop were

"Kaalileki raathiri mel kaadhalae
theekuchikki thanni mele kaadhalae

Srilanka neeyaana, LTTE naanannaa"
blah blah blah...

The most notable thing about the above song is it's a major hit from the movie Dishyum...

*sighs*