Friday, September 29, 2006

Lakshmi Devi

It is Navarathri, and I can imagine the festive frenzy in India now. Lakshmi Puja and Saraswathi Puja will be performed in every single home. Come to think of it, even now, I always put a coin in a purse (even if empty and stowed).

I was musing on these very thoughts on my way back from lunch, and stopped in my tracks at a seemingly normal gesture. Two men, dressed in business casuals and evidently working in the city, threw their one-cent coins on the street, like people sometimes throw trash, and moved on with not even a second glance. I was somehow disturbed. Why could he not have given to the numerous homeless? Or simpler still, dropped the cash in the donation jar kept almost at every counter?

I hesitate to throw out usable clothes, and try my best to donate them whenever possible. I guess our thinking is just ....well "different"!

7 comments:

Survivor said...

Yes, the thinking is certainly different.Few people dont realise the value of lakshmi.

Mad Max said...

thats unfortunate...again its hard to generalize but some folks just seem to think different...

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

increasing the generalisation a little more, I think wasting anything is a similar act. Somehow, we tend to focus on the "coin" or the "note" part while we all are usually okay with throwing away stuff or wasting food in the plate. All those are no different than stashing a coin.

Survivor said...

Mindframes comment got me thinking. What about the pennies that we throw when making wishes. Looking @ this from a different perspective, maybe the guys threw the penny making a wish in their mind.

sdpal said...

Navarathiri.. I miss, Oasi sundal... :-( waah!... waah!..
(Sorry saumya for the totally inappropriate reply for your serious post)

nourish-n-cherish said...

I understand sdpal......who doesn't miss the sundal?!!

bumblebee said...

It seems most people don't miss their pennies much. One local non-profit organization has this wonderful idea to receive these pennies that people don't seem to miss and put it to a good cause. Now, they don't go after each fountain or water body...but I hope the city does and puts it to use. Little drops of water make the mighty ocean.