Monday, October 16, 2006

Background Music

Did you know I was a radio star? I have performed a few times on the All India Radio (I meant that to sound pompous) Before you go and start searching for my name in the halls of fame, let me put it in context. There is only 1 important characteristic in all those programs. Nobody can make out that it was me. The only way one could have guessed is by listening to the announcement prior to the program proclaiming my name in the list of students performing.

To be fair to my father, he recorded one event. When he rewound the tape and listened to the program again, he figured it would be enough to just retain the announcement section, since the rest of the program could have been performed by anybody. So, he promptly used the tape to record M.S.Subbulakshmi songs when he got a chance. It would have been nice to have the announcement proclaiming my performance followed by MS singing. Tut Tut....That was not to be: the announcement got over-written too.

So my claim to fame is solely by word of mouth. It goes like this: List of students in today's program: Subashini, Venkat, ............., Saumya,......!

I was a versatile performer. I sang at times(never solo: lest you start bad-mouthing AIR), and some other times performed in skits. The school stationery manager stepped forward gallantly and mentioned that he had left an illustrious career in the theatrical industry to serve the school, and therefore he should be the person who provided the background music skits. We nodded and the practice sessions started.

To state it as mildly as possible, the background music was HORRENDOUS. Every place in the play where you think some quietness would do, there was music blaring. Some other places where mild music would have done the trick, we had garish music making us shout out every line in order to be heard over the music. I would not call the program a fiasco, but there were no folks waiting outside for autographs. The highlight of all this drama was the lunch we ate at Annapoorna restaurant in Coimbatore (Plus: the day-off from School to drive down to Coimbatore, perform and get back)

There are times in my life when I envision my life as a movie, and there is background music. So I see myself cooking *Sax playing mildly indicating a chef's beauty being developed* Never mind that I am making Rasam and vendakkai curry. It provides spice in my life! The washing clothes/ folding them section gets a banal harmonium. Playing with my daughter and taking her on walks gets melodious flute accompaniment.

I have worked hard at directing my life, so why not revel in my role as music director?!

6 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Thats a very good one !! I used to wonder how it would be to have a background music in real life, as they show in movies...

To my pomposity, I have appeared twice in Doodarshan..Once for model-exam paper series (I was one of the students) and the other one for some english song teaching series (again, starring as a student..:)) from our famous school that brainwaves and I went to...

bumblebee said...

So, you are that Sowmya that is so takled about... what an honor.

BrainWaves said...

how about sad music when we have some problems in life. (Ilayaraja's voilin).

Till now I did not know I married a Star.

BTW, funny blog.

sdpal said...

Saumya, I talked to keena and she says you are a wonderful singer (but she also complains that you write your own lyrics most of the time!)
The closer I came to radio show was, I requested couple of songs in Bay-area tamil radio thats it. If you listen carefully, you can still listen to it, in the bay-area air waves.

Mad Max said...

hmm okie the catch phrase..."Annapurna" yummmyyyyy...their dosas did attract me years back...CBE used to be our usual pit stop on our way to kerala...dad being a businessman and coimbatore being one of his key locations, it was but economical for us to make that stop...those were the yrs when one would look forward to the last fortnight of March and final exams...heheheh...first week of april means travel to CBE and then on to Trichur to hang out with paati and thatha for 2 looooooongggggggg months...no studies nuthin...FUN FUN FUN...gone are the days...

hmm as for music...hmm well my shot at glory was in May 2005 when i was part of the band that was featured on local TV in columbus...to be fair it sucked big time...there i was completely lost and trying to make some sense out of the nonsense that some ppl called music...hmm it was a bad experience but one that nevertheless opened my eyes to the reality of desi bands tying to sound kewl to an american audience and making a hash of the music...

as for background music...grrr..i guess life in the fast lane means heavy metal all the way...power cooking, power laundry and high power music to back it up...lol

Meera Manohar said...

LOL-- reading what your dad did to the tape

:)