Sunday, September 17, 2006

Customer dis-service?

I returned recently from my trip to India. Needless to say, there were many blog-worthy events and incidents. Not that there aren't any when I am here..

I had to open a bank account and chose ICICI. They really wanted to make things easy and were even willing to come to a potential customer's home at customer convenience to collect the application and other required details. I met Vel (not his real name) in the bank and fixed an appointment for the following day and specifically asked him how I could identify him or anybody that came to my house representing the bank. He said they would carry an id that stated the bank's name. Sure enough, he came the next day and to my surprise, he was punctual too. I asked him for identification, he did not have a badge. I was not very happy. However, after a few questions I let him continue with his work. He collected the required details and let me know that he should be able to file the application the same day and by Monday the following week I should have an account and receive the notification. He seemed very sincere in his conversation and called me "Madam" a million times. I was comforted. "India has changed", I thought to myself, "how easy it is to get things done."

Monday came and went, but there was no news from him. I called him and he said there was once particular information that was missing and he would come home to collect it. And he did. So, now I was to expect it within a week starting from then. The next Monday came and went and no word from Vel. By now, I was anxious as I did not have much more time left in India. I called Vel and he said he would call me in half an hour to report the progress on the application. In half an hour, I realized that customer service had not changed all that much. Vel never did call. The strategy seems to be, "Let me get the customer of my back at the moment and I'll say anything to do that", which is not really much better than the state of things before. In fact, its been a month now, I still don't have the account number. I have asked the bank to return my check and I don't want an account anymore. Doing business in India is as scary as it has always been. Vel had no problems making commitments, the problem came to keep those commitments.

A trip to my tailor later that day rebuffed this conclusion. This is the condition of customer service in premium institutions like banks and local mom-and-pop stores alike. Think then about the service we get in state government offices ( which also I had to visit), but I'll cover the topic separately. There are other elements in it that need its own blog.

4 comments:

nourish-n-cherish said...

Hmm...interesting, we had a similar issue with ICICI Lombard for my parents' insurance. We initially took 3 months of insurance, and then said we would extend for a further period of 3 months. So, the agent in his zeal to close the deal gave us a visiting card, and promised that all we have to do send a mail, and things would be taken care of. I guess the rest is easily deducible. I started the process of renewal a good month ahead: I sent mails to all and sundry, numerous phone calls, and NOTHING happened. So, finally, after their coverage was up, I had to purchase new insurance from here!

I sighed and moved on. Things don't change as easily as we would like them to!

Survivor said...

Interestingly, I opened a bank account with ICICI on my recent trip to India. A rep came to our house too , but he had all the details the very first day, gave us an account number, online id, ATM number with pin etc... .He took the check from my dad on that day and the account was activated within a week or so. My dad actually gave him an expired id, which made the rep revisit us the next day, but again, he made it all easy. For a change, I really liked the customer service.
My only problem was with the online id as it didnot get activated until I called their customer service and got it done.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Reminds me of the tirupathi barbers who shave heads. They try to shave a little from each person's head just to make sure that they got the customer and make them wait till he can get around to them...:)

Anyway, in my case, I called ICICI and they said that someone will come to visit me at home. And, sure enough, nobody turned up. So, I followed the traditional way of going directly to the bank and the entire process got done in less than half an hour. This was 2 years ago...

sdpal said...

these are the times, we really feel frustrated/angry/sad about the visit. Some simple issue, which kinda ruins many days of our small trip.