Wednesday, September 27, 2006

:-)

Mindframes's blog about email subjects got me thinking about smileys . A smiley added at the end of any sentence changes the context of the email. You can never sound rude if you add a smiley . It is one of the most significant findings for emails. All the hatred brewing around the world is stymied by smileys.

I hope I am not rude . You think," Yes, you are rude".
I hope I am not rude.:-) You think, " Maybe :-)"

Well, you get the gist.

Can you get this done ASAP.
Can you get this done ASAP :-)

What the hell are you doing?
What the hell are you doing? :-)

Get lost.
Get lost :-)

I want the report on my desk by noon.
I want the report on my desk by noon:-) ..Hmm, that may not work, I guess.

What were you thinking , man! running around half-naked ?
What were you thinking ,man !! running around half-naked?;-)

6 comments:

Meera Manohar said...

I really couldn't agree with you more Survivor.

In Thillana, I have always been made fun of (unga veetu enga veetu leg pulling illai!) for using smileys often! Now, I seem to have reduced and most of them have caught this *LOL*

Recently I found that using them can actually get some jobs done (at work I mean).

;-)

Mad Max said...

nice post survivor..definitely agree that smileys make things a lot easier and more fun...

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

You are absolutely right! I have found a lot of smiley's accompanied with cynical remarks. All said and done, it just shows one's behaviour and how one wants to tread over the delicate balance between being open and being indirectly sarcastic...:)

BrainWaves said...

You touched upon a very interesting point.

Email is a tricky medium which can create so many misunderstanding. So, I used to use lot of smileys to avoid people misunderstanding my harmless comments.

But nowadays I try to avoid smiley concisouly and make sure the content is put in the mail properly.

nourish-n-cherish said...

So true.....the bare email medium can really make the reader interpret the contents based on the "Reader's mood", and not get the import intended by the author at all. I love Smileys! They are cute :)

sdpal said...

really good post.
Hmm.. I need to add more smileys on my email and posts/replies
:-)