Thursday, September 28, 2006

Adam and Eve-teasing

"Am I touching you? All I do is letch a little and may be a little bit of a$% pinching!"

Why is it that eve teasing is a nation-wide problem especially so in our home country? I still remember the day when a 1st year fresher Ms.X studying in Ethiraj (my alma-mater) was teased, groped and pushed to the pavement on an other wise normal Monday morning way back in the late 1990's. She hit her head, bled endlessly while the police tried to apprehend the couple of college males who had done it for the fun of it.

This is one of the blogs that talks about the blanknoise project and some if their activities.

Somehow chancing upon this post in another blog made me pen this. Actually there's no specific point to this post excepting that we need to look, experience our surroundings more, be aware and more importantly empower ourselves, and that doesn't restrict itself to women alone.

AND to come to Ms.X, she fought for her life for a couple of days, was rumoured to have had nightmares of the *incident* through her last few days before she finally passed on.

Oh! and just so you know, t
he 3 college boys who were caught later got some meagre virtually non-existent sentences!

Well-- so much for a life!?

PEACE

6 comments:

Survivor said...

Meera,
I read the blog about the blanknoise project. Wish I had been in India to take part in it.I mean it.I had learnt to look out and be aware of my surroundings everytime when I enter a bus, though learnt it the hard way.
Its a pity about Ms.X .I have somehow found that life has lesser value in India and we take so much for granted.

nourish-n-cherish said...

Yes Meera.....agree with you. There is no respect for one's sense of being nor regard to respect a person's private space. I used to travel with a safety pin handy to jab into the gross fingers! I wonder when the situation will change.

BrainWaves said...

It is SAD SAD state!

The thing which pisses me off is.. it is easy to solve the problem. All you have to do is to show some concrete punishments and automatically our system (we are scared in general aren't we?) will stop this non-sense.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I have heard about the news. I think those folks who did it should be lined up one next to another and be shot in public.

Manohar said...

and it starts with the name- it sounds so harmless when we call it 'eve teasing'. There is no teasing here... its not jovial like a real teasing is. Its a form of sex crime and should at the very least be called so.

bumblebee said...

That really is terrible. I think the degree varies and is probably a lot worse in bigger cities?

Time to teach our daughters Taek-won-do instead of Kathak!