Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Passion

I am supposedly an optimist as characterized by my friends. Unless otherwise confined by the limits of foreseeable reality, I think one can succeeed in things that they are passionate about. I read in a book once that if your career is based on something that you are passionate about, irrespective of the monetary benefits that you might reap out of it, you will still enjoy the journey. I totally agree to it.

We often try to look out for the formula behind successful people and try to follow it as much as we could. But, in the process, we often sacrifice our interests into achieving something that we dont really like. You will be overwhelmed at how passion can lead you into achieving things that you only dreamed about. When I mean passion, I dont just talk about the goal, but the intent to put all the efforts into making it a reality.

One of the interesting things that recently captured my attention is that, if you pick any two distinct numbers, irrespective of what they are, you can always find infinite numbers between them. Same is true with time and for that matter, anything that is continuous. One way to view life is to take any two points in time and see what you did during that time. If you follow your passion (which will be continuous), doing whatever you do makes it infinitely worthy. Now, that is a life I choose to live by.

7 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Well said.

Survivor said...

Yes, it feels fantastic to be doing what you are passionate about. But,at the same time, we have to be realistic as well. There are millions of people who do things they dont like or not passionate about just to earn their living.
We can consider our own parents as examples. I am sure they had their passions, but I doubt if they were able to achieve it or if they were passionate about what they were doing.
Its easy to say you can choose a life full of passion, but its not easy to practice it.

Survivor said...

Mindframes,
I do know it is easy for you to follow your passion and phew! Man, you are passionate about so many things...and you are always ready to put that extra 1% to shine in what you do..

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I agree that, nobody can possibly pursue all their passions. But, I am sure, there are areas, which one can pursue if they really intend to. Also, there is this whole thing about discovering your passions. You wont find it unless you try it.

I think, as long as one has an open mind to explore new stuff, there are innumerous things in this world to be passionate about...

Meera Manohar said...

Kudos Mindframes.. Very well put.

I agree with you in that although practicality and plausiblity is a huge factor, one will never know if they are passionate or not unless one tries it out!!

Also of the humble opinion that *strongly* held passions somehow find a way to leak to the forefront, even if backlogged for many years. I guess the breaking free & coming to the forefront also has to do a lot with the kind of personality all of us are. I have seen siblings where each of them are total opposites in this regard.

Base line- having passions fuels us, and it's better to get it out, try it rather than keep it in, assuming the worst!!

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Well, I think there are 2 ways to look at it...

Someone defined passion this way... Let us say we have infinite money and we dont need to really "work" to earn our living, what would one choose to do with their lives? One way to determine what we are passionate about...

Most of us have the desire to win. Especially, in things that we think we are good at. The motivation to win coupled with the inherent ability to achieve it morphs itself into passion. This could be latent till we pursue challenges to see what our abilities are... Sometimes, if the challenges are not challenging enough or boring, it gets out of the passion list..:)

If it sounds confusing, then you could very well assume that I am as confused as you are...:)...

bumblebee said...

I couldn't agree more with the closing para, "The motivation to win coupled with the inherent ability to achieve it morphs itself into passion." This makes sense especially if you want to be passionate about your passion in the long run! I believe it to be true in my case. I couldn't possibly be passionate at something if I really sucked at it. A good example would be Bowling.

After reading this post, I am trying to determine what my passion is....