Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Next Generation

A lot of times, we hear about this term "next generation", especially in the context of technology. One simple definition of what the next generation is nothing but, what each company is currently working on. Undoubtedly, things of the present are the technology of the future. But, this blog is not about technology, it is about kids...yes, you didnt mis-read it, this blog is about kids... Well, think about the next-generation of people. They are no one but the kids of the present.

Initially, I was going to look back several hundred years ago, but then, I realised, a couple of generations in the past is more than enough. I was just trying to compare myself with kids of the present to just take note of the differences. I was initially going to ignore the technology aspect since some of them didnt even exist then. But, this is about the difference in life style. I watched my first TV program at 6, used telephone by myself at around 10, worked on a computer at 15, got to use a cellphone at around 23. I see kids around and they do all the above by the age of 4-5. As a kid, I had very little access to library, and in turn, information. Now, it is available at the tip of the finger when you need it.

Though I am very glad about the progress, I am worried if the next-generation is trained to handle the pace at which the workplace is going to unroll. I heard in a seminar once that, workers of the future will have to switch atleast 5-6 different types of careers in their life. However, I dont see the education system of the present improving in anyway to account for it. But then, when I grew up, I dont think I was trained in any way to meet the demands that I am posed with today. But yet, most of us are successful and have been able to adapt ourselves. So, the kids of the present will probably be able to mold themselves as well, given the environment that they live in. That being said, I am not even able to imagine how 2 generations from now will look like...Something to ponder about... OR Am I just getting old...:)

2 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Every generation worries about the next. It must be our ego. Though we absolutely know they will better us, we don't want to give up that easily :)

Survivor said...

Humans are born to be adaptive. Any changes in technology or pace, we can get used to it in no time.