Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Group Dynamics

Last week, I was talking to a friend of mine about a movie. He told me that the movie sucked big time and told me to never ever watch that movie. Once he said that I should never ever watch that movie, it induced a great curiosity in me to watch that movie. How bad a movie can be? Am I so time bound that spending couple of hours in a movie is going to be a waste of time? Well, if you are wondering which movie I am talking about or who the friend is, sorry...I just made it up... The real question is how do we shape ourselves up in a society? Assume the same scenario as before. Instead of you being alone, assume that you have a whole bunch of your friends with you and they all buy into your friend's comments and they all decide to not watch the movie. Will you still watch it?

I was with a group of friends the other day and someone started talking about a new movie. I dont know about others. I am usually hesitant before giving a opinion out loud irrespective of whether it is a good one or a bad one, especially if I have an extreme opinion. I usually sense the vibe of the group and then adapt my answers in such a way that it doesnt create a major conflict of opinions. I think we all probably do that at some degree or other. I think we've acquired a characteristic to mold ourselves to get along with the surroundings. Ofcourse, there are exceptions like this friend of mine who always tries to come up with an anti-argument for any argument placed. Once again, if you are wondering who the friend is or what the movie is, I made that one up too...

We had an exercise in my class yesterday. It is a role play and everyone was supposed to play their part. Everyone had a hidden agenda that they were not supposed to reveal explicitly, but try to achieve it. It is just amazing how a simple role play exercise would transform our thought process into doing things that we dont normally do. Anyway, I played the VP of chamber of commerce and the discussion was to determine what kind of voting mechanism was needed to bring a new board member to the council and what should be the term of the board member. My role was to not really care about the board meeting. I had to accept what others had to say, especially Carol. I had to specifically impress one board member, Carol Stone so that I can go out on a date with her at the end of the meeting. It was an interesting role. My professor was quite impressed with the way I conducted myself...Carol was impressed too...Now, this is not something that I made up..;)

5 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Did you go on date with her? If so, what story did you make to hide that from your wife? I am very curious!! I am sure the entire group which reads this blog are also curious.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Given the reputation of my imagination and exaggeration, do you think anything cud've happened.. even if something had happened (I wish...), do u think I will talk about it in this forum, especially with survivor staring all over it...;)... Lets get together offline...

FYI: Carol aka L..a is single...

Survivor said...

Brainwaves,
Once Mindframes came very close to asking a girl out for a date. Though he is married to a very stunning, intelligent girl who feels very secured ,I dont think she likes him going out with another girl ..just for moral reasons. Poor guy, had to drop that date and is stuck with his wife for life...Now, this is something I made up:-)

bumblebee said...

My scatter-brain could have missed the connection between the last para and the rest of the blog.

To comment on group dynamics, I am baffled by my own interest to be "norm"-al, to conform. Many times I ensure I zip-it even when my mind is screaming to the contrary of what I am hearing. I used to be that argumentative person at one time several years in the past. I have resigned now and in many cases, unless the topic is worthy, I accept that it may not be worth my energy to argue or persuade.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Bumblebee: Your scatter-brain was not the problem..:)..The goal was to have no connection...

Now that you have asked for connection, I will try to make one up. All 3 paragraphs have some connection to how we portray ourselves and how we are influenced in a group environment...