Monday, January 30, 2006

IPTV in Junior Vikatan

Primer/Description: IPTV describes a system where a Digital television service is delivered to subscribing consumers using the IP over a broadband connection. This service is often provided in conjunction with video on demand and may also include internet services such as web access and VoIP where it may be called as Triple Play.

Redback (my employer) is one of the key companies working on IPTV and Triple Play software and hardware. I have heard our CEO mentioning triple play in our small group meetings and in company meetings. I viewed this as a technical mumbo-jumbo and a catchy phrase used to describe the technology.

Even when Redback got a contract with Bellsouth (public information) for triple play, I did not pay any attention. But recently there was some report which said, IPTV is going to be deployed in India. I was surprised but again I did not think too much (it is tough to make me think!)

Finally today I was reading Junior vikatan (a spin-off of Anandha Vikatan) to find out what actress Namitha has to say about Tamil Nadu politics. Then I clicked on this page and start scanning the content. This is the gist of that article “while there is much controversy over cable in Tamil Nadu it may be a thing of the past. IP-TV is going to replace TV and it may remove the need to watch particular channels at particular time blah”

Boom! Now it hit me hard. The technology which I am working is reaching the masses all over the world and changing their day-to-day life.

Finally the bugs I introduce may have some meaningful effect like dropping the IP packets carrying Abhi’s tears (Kolangal serial lead women who cries for everything) . That is COOL!

5 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

It always feels good to know how things we work on gets used in the real world. May be u should insert some easter eggs in your code to mark your authenticity...Especially, if it can wipe out Abhi's tears, and not Namitha's interview (or rather, anything related to Namitha..)..;) [ Real Quality and "Quantity" of Service]....

Survivor said...

I think our work reaches the Asian masses far ahead than those in US.I remember my friends having cable modems long before we had it here. And when I went to India couple of years back, everyone in TI,India had an IP phone with a dallas number..

Pal,I think you should introduce some bugs to bring smiles to Abhi's family, which will be an added bonus..

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Yesterday, in one of our meetings, I started hearing names like Quad-Play and Poly-Play... Quad-Play apparently includes Mobile stuff...Just old wine in the same bottle... To me, everything is only about data and QoS...

bumblebee said...

And hopefully you have filtered the obscenities as well, which might actually mean, the episode will be considerably shortened - title song --commercials--ending song!

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I would contend that, removing obscenities in SunTV episodes might only lead to a blank TV...:)...