Friday, January 06, 2006

How Stupid Am I....

I was new to the company and I was trying to build my relationship with everyone. My then project lead was a friendly guy. We had to work together for a while to setup things for a project. So, I had the oppurtunity to sit with him and go over the day's work everyday in his cube. Instead of just talking about work, I thought of getting to know him more. You know what I mean.

Well, my project lead had this photograph in his cube which had two people in it. I knew that he had a daughter and I could guess that one of them in the picture was his daughter. I couldnt guess who the other person was. It looked like him, but there was something strange, something was missing and I couldnt guess what the problem was. The background looked like they were in the middle of snow. So, both of them were wearing thick jackets and that added to my uncertainity. With every passing day, my curiosity to know who the other person was, increased exponentially. One fine day, I decided to break the ice and ask the question. I looked at him straight in the eye and asked him, "David, (showing the picture) is that you and your daughter?". His response was "No, it is my wife and my daughter...They took it during their trip to Europe..." His face didnt show any kind of surprise. May be, he didnt hear me properly. Good for me...However, I was very embarassed. I tried to switch topic and steer it towards some project stuff. Even now, when I think about it, it gives me a smile...

4 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Just curious. Why didn't you ask, "who are in this pic?" instead?

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

somehow, it didnt occur to me... didnt see the title of the blog...:)

Survivor said...

Mindframes,
I remember that day and this incident really cheered me up.

Once something similar happened to me. Michael, a friend of mine was showing me his photos. I was admiring the landscape and asked about the guy in the photo. Turned out to be one of his girl friends !! Boink! boink ! . Ofcourse, I had a retort ready,"You Germans all look alike". Ha ! Ha! Smart move..huh..
Michael, being a very good friend started laughing and it was pretty amusing.

Manohar said...

Was involved in an accident in bangalore (not my fault) that had a guy and his pregnant wife fall off their bike. Went over to enquire how they were doing- and even asked- "hope your wife is doing fine- considering that she is pregnant'..... the guy frowned and informed me acidly that she isn't pregnant.

MY BAD-- she was just fat.... but the embarassment stuck forever like leftover gum on shoes.