Thursday, January 05, 2006

Advaita

Disclaimer:
The following article deals with philosophy.

I am sure most of us would have heard the word "Advaita" . It preaches us that Atma and Brahman are one. Basically, the universe is one. There is just one single atma . I started thinking about it this morning after reading some comments on "intentblog" website where one person was explaining a surreal experience of his . He mentioned about his trip to Manosarovar and how he suddenly felt connected with the rocks,trees,rivers and gained his energy from them , when he was dead tired and finally made it to the top of the mountain. Interestingly, if you guys have read the book "The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield, it follows the same concept. The book is very intriguing and talks about nine insights and the transfer of energy from universe to humans and vice versa. I would call it "Advaita".

Last night I was reading SaiSatCharita , when I hit upon these words in one of the chapters.

Shridi Sai says that man is ignorant as long as he thinks
1. He is his body
2. God is different than him.
Basically, he is also trying to preach the same.

I attend a meditation class by RamChandra Mission,where they preach that GOD is within you and there is no need for idol worship. You just medidate in silence and that will take you closer to GOD. Again, I like to call that also Advaita.

They all seem to be the same wine in different bottles.

Another Trivia:
Among Brahmins, Iyers follow Advaita Vedanta ( started originally by Shankaracharya-Pattai) and Iyengars follow "Visistadvaita"(Ramanujam-Namam) which preaches qualified non-dualism and states that the Ultimate reality, though one is not without differentiation. There are three fundamental realities,Isavara,Soul and Matter which is totally against the Advaita philosphy. My sister is married to a Madhava who follow "Dvaita"(Madhavacharya-Mudhirai)-the existence of permanent reality of two fundamental principles in nature-spirit and matter.

4 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Following not-so-philosophical things came to my mind after reading your blog.

1) Theethum nandrum Pirar Thara vaara. (Good or Bad can happen only because of you (and not anyone else))

2) The movie Anbe Sivam. I loved it basically because of the idea that God is within everyone.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I couldnt understand parts of it, actually, most of it..:)... Following is my understanding based on the blog. There is only 1 atma and everything in the universe shares it...In other words, that 1 atma is the universe, or rather, universe is the atma...is it right?

Survivor said...

You got it right, buddy !

bumblebee said...

We might lead a lot happier life if we could separate the inner person from the body. Easier said than done though!

Long time ago, I attended a seminar for Silva Meditation technique where I heard about the single contiguous mind concept. My belief in it is neutral as of now.

The question about the definition of God, I belive is different for each person. I think this is alright. I understand it as you have mentioned, that what we call God or "it" is within us. Anyway I won't go into it further for the fear of being labeled.