Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Age no bar

Sometimes, people give more importance to age than it warrants. On every vacation to India, I am reminded that I am not getting younger by the day. And this is not just because kids we remember in diapers so recently seem to have graduated and found jobs even! My relatives are always eager to hammer the fact into my head. It should not be of great surprise that I feel older every day I spend there and feel much younger upon my return from my vacation.

I believe age is a relative thing. Of course, we all know no one can possibly get younger over time. But why set limits to what we can do at a certain age, when our body and also our mind will indeed allow us to do much more. I get my inspiration from a lovely young couple who we met while hiking in Chimney Rock State park sometime last year. They were 76 and 72 years old. This would be considered "ripe" old age in my family! I call them young because they were so active, vibrant and zestful. When I was a kid, my grandfather (75) and I were visiting my great grandfather (then 93). I still remember vividly how my great grandfather chided my grandfather when he mentioned he was getting old. My best attempt at translating what he said is, "You are only as old as you think you are". Recently, I met a couple in their 80s, who were out volunteering in this cold weather. It really amazed me to see their efforts to help others. I felt guilty to think of the times I have just felt like sitting on the couch doing nothing useful.


I really appreciate the way some people choose to lead their lives after retirement age. (I deliberately avoid using the term old-age.) When I see a senior at a grocery store waiting in line patiently for her turn, when I see a senior driving his own car (albeit slowly), when I see seniors volunteering, when I see seniors enjoying a sun-bath at the beach, I appreciate it very much and think about what my great grandfather said that day. Every time I have my parents-in-law and parents visiting me in the US, I make every attempt at pointing out how some seniors here live their lives. By the time they leave, I do my best to make them think and feel much younger. Age should not come in the way of leading a productive life if you are physically able to contribute. I think it is an achievable goal to remain useful to the society and to interact with the society no matter how old you are. I certainly hope to make the right choices with my time.

2 comments:

Survivor said...

A funny note about age...

At age 4 success is not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 20 success is having sex.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is having money.
At age 60 success is having sex.
At age 70 success is having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is having friends.
At age 80 success is not peeing in your pants.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

That was a good one... I think aging can be looked at from 2 sides, Mind and Body. Mind never ages as long as you keep it occupied and cheerful enough. Body does age and it is a universal truth. We know that, mind can control body. Hence the proof..:)