Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Travel Maps

I love maps. I can keep looking at maps for ever and not get tired of it. Its just fascinating how such a wide landscape is accessible through such an easy interface. Sometimes, I just feel like visiting places when I trace them in a map.

Recently, I came across the software from Google through which you can download the 3D map of the earth. It is simply amazing. You can just view the earth in 3D and zoom in or out of any location in earth. Most of the big cities can be seen at an altitude of up 1000 ft. It is as if you fly to this new place on earth in no time. How does Grand Canyon look? Well, you can just click on one of their tags and it will land you right in between the canyon onto colorado river. It is just amazing. So, now I can rotate the earth and see the connections between the different continents. It was interesting to see that, one can travel north of inda and cross china and enter Russia and turn right and go all the way till you reach a point where Pacific ocean seperates Alaska by couple of hundred miles. Do you know that Alaska was bought in 1867 by US from Russia for a mere 7 million dollars.

Yesterday, I visited Paris and saw Eiffel Tower up close and personal. I have a lot of travelling to do....:)

4 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Checking your home (in US) gives a silly satisfaction. Isn't it?

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Yes, it really does... Also, tracing path from home to work and other such places...:)

Survivor said...

Yep !! We did travel to a few exotic places already !! . And as Ireadblogs said , I remember looking at our house and our swimming pool the most.

bumblebee said...

This topic came up in one of my classes and the issue raised was Privacy protection. If technology advances, pictures get more clear and real time, its scary that someone (devil with an arrow shaped tail) might be watching your house!

I like the bright side though, travel without applying for multiple visas :-)