Monday, October 24, 2005

A recent question to me in an interview – what stresses me? In my mind, I was framing my own question. Are you serious, do you have 2 days to spare? It takes me almost a day to figure out where to start, unless, of course I get stressed about thinking, then it takes a little while longer…

Sometimes, everything stresses me and sometimes strangely nothing does. As I was driving, I tried to analyze what stressed me most. I realized, that mostly, it is people who talk too much, without really achieving any communication.

Top on this list are people who are so engrossed in their monologue and prey good listeners, and never for a minute stop to wonder if the audience is the least bit interested in the topic. When people engage in these talk-athons that seem to last for ever, I am overwhelmed with the minutest of details in a subject I have absolutely no interest in. The feeling I must bottle in to keep myself from crying out aloud is almost enough to drive me over the edge.

A close second - the newsreaders in CNN and Fox channels who feel we find their own personal lives immensely interesting. Not to mention their opinions on each subject matter they are paid to only announce. I could care less how warm or cold they felt when the woke up that morning how the rising gas prices affected them personally. However, they don’t care that I don’t care! Their job satisfaction seems to lie in publishing their views and opinions and trivial matters that satisfy no goal. Will somebody ever stop them?

Next I thought of the ways I could relieve my stress, apart from disabling the source of the unwanted noise. And I strongly recommend the following the 2-step technique for people like me. The first step involves going away into your room and banging the door behind you. Then you pick a 3-ply Kleenex. Now without tearing the individual ply, separate the three individual layers. You can also do this with many candy wrappers that usually have 2 layers of paper in them. There is a glow of satisfaction that you haven’t experienced before and it totally takes you away from your current concerns….

3 comments:

Survivor said...

People who stress me out are those who are not good listeners too.They just like to talk and never listen. You start to say something , and before you know, you are forced to listen to what they are saying....

The second category are those who just cut you off when you are talking to them over phone . You realise after sometime that you have been SNUBBED..

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

The inevitable nature of a 2-way communication is that there should be 2 talkers and 2 listeners, with only 1 talker and 1 listener active at a time. In most cases, only one person talks and the other one listens or atleast appears to listen and it is the classical display of reciprocity. When reciprocity breaks, communication breaks...Denny Crane...:)

BrainWaves said...

I for one, like the little chit chat happening between the news better than the news itself. It was a welcome change from stiff looking, routine newscast we saw back home.

Reading your article, I started internalizing and start wondering in which category I would fall.
I am NOT a one-way listener. I could be a one-way speaker.
Grrr.. thanks to you, now I am more self-aware :)