Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Back to the future

A topic that comes up often in my house is the uncertainties in life. Many in my family have approached astrologers to learn about the future (both their own and quite selflessly about other's future). Most have enormous belief in the horoscope (or horror-scope). Whether or not they are bold enough to admit that in my presence, their actions always speak to that effect.

My question is this; If you could, would you want to know your future (as p;redicted by an astrologer)? My answer; I don't think so. Of course, there is a huge assumption here; the prediction of the future is accurate!

Considering that ones actions (internal attribution) determine the consequence, is it possible to predict the future accurately. For instance, if someone were to predict that I'd be crippled in a car wreak by rolling off the hillside, I would most certainly drive cautiously on hills or avoid hills all together! So then the future predicted is not necessarily going to happen, is it? That means, the future is not immutable. Then how can the future be accurately predicted?

If you believe that the future can somehow be predicted accurately and is immutable, then does your desire to know your future change? It depends on the nature of the person. The person could react positively making a list of things to do before something happens preparing himself and others around him. Or the person could wallow in self pity and drag himself and others down to the pit of despair even before the event actually happens.

I am not sure which category I fall in? But numerous books in this topic tell me that people go through a cycle of emotions till they make peace with the eventuality. I am wondering what some others think in this regard.

3 comments:

Survivor said...

I do believe that our future is not immutable. Our present actions and thoughts acts as a precursor for our future.
The best policy would be to accept things as they come and dont even think about the future

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I perfectly agree. Horoscopes/Astrology/Palmistry can all be fascinating things if we are not involved OR if it adds positivity to our lives..:)... I dont want to know what I can or cannot do. My father knows Palmistry and he once looked at my hand and said that I wouldnt do any higher studies. One wouldnt believe if I said this. But, I was quite psyched till I received my degree in hand. On the other hand, someone else from when I was a little kid told me that I will be extremely successful and travel various countries and make a lot of money..:)... I guess positive predictions are good. It builds morale. Negative predictions...No good...

BrainWaves said...

I don't believe in Astrology or Horoscope in the current world concept. I have vague acceptance to the concept that there may be some corelation between stars/planets and people's behaviour, but I am 100% sure the astrologers makes no sense.

It is interesting to note that my Father too said I will not finish my Higher degree based on my Horoscope (predicted by some Astrologer). Well, if meant that I won't learn anything out of that, then he might've been right :)

Just yesterday my wife called to tell me that a astrology site says that her husband will be indifferent to her today. I just checked my sign in the same site, and it said I will be very close to my wife today..
I rest my case guys!!