Thursday, October 20, 2005

Random Thought...

Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle states that you cannot find the velocity and position of the electron at the same time. This would, in a more abstract sense, mean that you cannot unroll time to a point and exactly predict what would happen next or what exactly happened in the past. One can only make a probabilistic guess. If we can accurately predict it, then we would be able to predict the entire sequence of events that would follow, in terms of which atom would combine and form which element and so on, to evolution of life forms and humans, all the way till our present being and future outcomes.

It is interesting to note that, given that the entire universe follows a random path. We still dont know how to create randomness quantitatively. Every random generator humanly created has a regular sequence and thus not really "random" (pseudo-random) while the entire universe is random... I read in a book recently that psychiatrists cannot analyse themselves. The reason being analysing ones own self is similar to making one's own brain to think about itself. A function calling itself...recursion. Unless there is no termination case, it will go on for ever without arriving at a decision, which is logical as well. So, may be creating randomness is a similar issue ?

2 comments:

Survivor said...

Thats cool...I read it thrice and found some RANDOM words that made sense to me...recursion...I got that one..and something about psychiatrists. Brain also sounds familiar though I am not sure..I think it is the organ that makes all those noises in my head..so maybe I need a psychiatrist to check my brain.

BrainWaves said...

'God does not play dice'** is the first thing came to my mind. And that showed how deep rooted our belief system is. Thinking about why great and rational mind like Einstien could not believe everything is random, I remember this answer from John Nash***. He said, the same brain which solves the complex mathematical equations tells me to believe in so-called irrational alien stories and imagnative friend, how can I believe one and not believe the other. Talking about mathematician , do you know, Ramanujam, when asked how he solved all those complex equations, mentioned that Kali came in his dreams and provided answers.

NOW THIS IS TRUE RANDOM RESPONSE FOR YOU :)

** : Einstein made that remark against quantam mechanics randomness

*** : Beautiful mind fame mathematician