Wednesday, October 19, 2005

'bu-g&r'

Wondering what this is ? According to Mariam Webster, this is how we are supposed to pronounce "booger" . Want to know the definition -- "a piece of dried nasal mucus". I have always been intrigued by this little piece of dried mucus(for a lack of better word) ...hmm..actually, sometimes it is a piece of wet mucus as well, maybe then we should call it wet booger as technically it is meant to be dry.
It has helped me through many moments in my life. As a child, when I was crying really bad after getting a strong beating from mom, just licking a bit of my booger( though it was the wet kind then) had soothed me more than the words of my sisters trying to console me. Slowly, it changed into the dry variety as I started growing up. Ha! At school, it has helped me in taking revenge against my harassers by rubbing just a little bit of my booger on their desks , notebooks, bags etc.
I think its the same for everyone. Just think about it. When you are in deep thinking, have you noticed how your hand involuntarily takes a bit of booger and starts rubbing it slowly or vigorously( depends on what you are thinking). Though you might be ashamed to admit it, it is soothing and helps in your thinking process . It gives a good exercise for your fingers too.. That is the only time you will ever rub your fingers ( I mean the thumb and the forefinger) , though there might be people who might involve all their fingers, just for making it even .
Next time when you are waiting at a traffic light, just look across at all the other cars, you will notice atleast one person seriously digging into their nose trying to take out every last bit of booger out. Maybe, it somehow helps in driving safe too.
Its just that when you are in a car, you think u r alone and no one is watching you.
Well, thats a topic for another discussion.
Its a pity that we are all ashamed and afraid of getting noticed for taking out and playing with our boogers.I think we should be proud of something that we can call our own and which serves so many purposes....Go BOOGERS !!

3 comments:

BrainWaves said...

This is interesting posting to say the least. It is both cringe-worthy (Sienfield-like term) and exhilarting (man! i was trying hard find this word from morning) at the same time.

I am always intrigued by articles which touches the topic which most of writers afraid to handle.

I am seeing a new dimension of you with this article. Hope to see many more articles/pieces from you.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

There are many a times when I have defocussed people from proceeding with their "exercise"...:) Your blog has opened my eyes, sorry noses, to appreciate the "boog"tivity that goes around me. I may not give a helping hand, but I would certainly give a conducive look...:)

nourish-n-cherish said...

*ROFL* I still remember this teacher of ours in School - we had christened him: "Lord of Ghana", because he was known for digging gold from you know where! And every class of his, we spent trying to dodge the flying gold - YUCK!