Friday, January 26, 2007

Seinfeldian thought

After yet another coma inducing carbohydrate laden dinner, plopped senselessly in my favorite imitation position of a water buffalo, I was watching a rerun of Seinfeld. Fans of Seinfeld may recognise this episode- its the one where people close to him compete for a speed dial position in his phone. Hilarious and it made me think is there something vaguely similar we do in real life and it turns out perhaps....

Email... many claim its the next best thing to sliced bread. Some claim bread supercedes it, a detail that I prefer to think of as nitpicking. I don't need to be evangelical about the merits of email. As a matter of fact its so pervasive that people had to invent a word called snail mail to refer to the traditional paper route.

It has a catch though- an important often missed detail. When you are mailing your friends, what sequence should you follow for their names? This single orderly (or not) decision has left behind more bad feelings than even bad breath. The uninitiated may just choose from their address books- this was good while it lasted, because it implied alphabetical order and people with names starting in 'V' where resigned to the fact of having their names show up in the end of a scrolled list. Then came gmail with name completion- thrilled with this new feature the novice started typing out names from memory and effectively jumbled the well thought out alphabetical design. Friends were spurned- anger and confusion resulted. My name is Akash- how could my name come up in the middle of the list? Am I not his closest friend? We were buddies from high school and yet Vikas comes before me in the list? Akash would write indignantly back to Bharath with his name near the end of the list. Bharath gets upset- Did I do this on purpose? no! I was so enthused by gmail- thats an innocent mistake... Broken friendship glasses everywhere. Email the knight in shining armor promiser of connecting friends around the globe fails.

The careful emailer realizes there is no easy solution to this ungodly mess. He jumbles up the name list- making sure he remembers who comes first and who goes last. Next mail he reverses them- everybody gets a fair chance to head the list. Cycling of job roles. He is proud in the knowledge that justice was handed out with an iron hand.

Mr. Justice finishes up his recent blog, posts it and opens with anticipation his next mail from his close buddy and is dismayed to see his name near the end of the list......

9 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I think Bcc was just invented for that purpose. No one knows about the other people in the list and yet, can be proud that their name is the only name on the mail...:)

Manohar said...

Well- bcc in my opinion is used in the context of sending mails to a list of people won't know each other and shouldn't be spammed when everybody tends to press 'reply all'

But when you want to encourage a mail thread with replies shared-- bcc doesn't cut it

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Hmm...You could use yahoogroups with all the friends that you care about..:)..

Interestingly, blogging puts the pressure on the recipients. As a friend, does one respond to a blog ahead of others? As partners, do spouses have an obligation to reply to a blog sooner than others? Atleast, not something that the blog writer has to worry about...

Manohar said...

Dei- idhu rombha overa irruku. :)

Survivor said...

I remember that Seinfeld episode.Hmmm...this got me thinking..I think my To list's priority is based on the subject of my mail. There will be one person who I think might be interested in that mail and he/she comes as the first person, followed by the spouse...etc....
OK, now that I have declared it openly, I have to be careful with my mails from now on...

Manohar said...

@survivor: welcome to the club :)

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

@survivor:: I remember that someone was "totally forgotten" recently in one of your recent mails...hmm hmm...

Manohar said...

Let the games begin :)

nourish-n-cherish said...

Dude.....the way I see it: IF a person has so much time to sit and analyze the order of names in a friends email, the person has either
(a) way too much free time or
(b) needs a little more mental stimulation to occupy the mind better.