Tuesday, December 26, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth

I am not a huge fan of movies. Every once in a while, a movie comes along, that brings about the following conversation in our household:

Man of the house: Saumya.....I've played the movie. Could you come and watch it?
Self: I can see it from the kitchen, while I am loading the dishwasher.
The titles start, and the man of the house glimpses in my direction, and he cannot even see me, so, how could I be watching a movie?: Can you come here now?
Unfazed, I reply that I can hear the conversation while wiping the floor.
Man of the house: GRRRRRRRRRR....No, this time you are coming here and watching it properly.
Self: What's the BIG Deal??? I don't enjoy movies as much as you do - so you go ahead, I'll join you in a moment.
10 minutes later, the tone hints on exasperation: For heaven's sake, come here, and watch the movie.
Self: Okay, okay...am almost done. I just have to <insert 6 totally unrelated, mundane task list here>

It is at this point in the proceedings when you can see a grown man pull a grown woman from the kitchen, and switch off the kitchen light. The grown man then follows aforementioned grown woman closely to ensure no u-turns are taken, and plays the movie. Usually, I sulk for the first few minutes before getting immersed in the movie. Invariably, I end the movie by thanking him for making me watch the movie. You see, my husband undertakes great pains to select movies I like and am sure to enjoy. I really appreciate that - I really do! He not only knows my taste, he actually makes me enjoy my life.

After scene above was enacted successfully on Friday night, we sat down to watch Al Gore's documentary: An Inconvenient Truth.

Let me just say this: my thought process has been altered. I don't think I see the world with the same eyes anymore. To those of you who have not yet seen this movie, please do so as soon as possible.

We owe it to ourselves, and our children.

7 comments:

sdpal said...

Well been there and done that (as a husband).

Btw, I heard about the movie too. Is the movie going to make me feel guilty ? If 'yes', then I need to think about watching it. I have enough guilt already, cant add few more :-)

Anonymous said...

Let's say the least the movie will do is to raise your awareness. I would call the movie a wake-up call.

Manohar said...

Hey, thats exactly what happens in my place too.

Also another point I would like to add is- while we all knew many of the effects of global warmings. They were scattered bits of information and although specific didn't enter my mind as one cohesive concept that fits many pieces together. This movie did it for me :)

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Manu. With all the news about global warming, there was just so much data, and so many repurcussions (everything is different studies/papers). This movie has gone to great lengths to drive the point home.

This is the political response for the movie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_inconvenient_truth#Political_response

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I watched the movie in flight...I also saw the movie "Who killed the Elctric Car?". The question I have is, what can I/we do? My first instinct was to switch to a hybrid car or something that will reduce the gasoline consumption. But, does that fix it? Economically, I think it is not an optimal decision. Hybrid cars sell for $2000-$3000 above MSRP. May be I should start biking to work? Use public transportation if convenient..may be...Am I going to do that from tomorrow? probably not...:)

When science has advanced all the way to decode genes and what not, I am surprised that there has not been much happening in the auto industry. Is it a cyclical problem of demand and supply? Or, is it the political pressure of the big oil guys? I hope hydrogen powered cars will roll out sooner...

Anonymous said...

I chose to watch "Gangster" "Breakup" etc instead of "inconvenient truth".:-) But,I can imagine what the movie would be covering anyway. Now,as Mindframes pointed out,just watching the movie may not be enough. I have watched so many movies which has had a huge impact on me , but which I tend to forget after a couple of months.....

Meera Manohar said...

Well- where can I start with respect to what emotions this movie evoked??

*sigh* that I can't quite explain it and also seeing what we have brought ourselves to. But then guess it was indeed a well-deserved, A$$ beating wake up call that all humans need