Monday, December 18, 2006

Kiriket

Staying up all night to watch a game of cricket has never been a cause for concern for me, even when I have to to go to work the morning after. I still remember staying awake the whole night to watch India take on Pakistan in the 2003 world cup. Fifty of us (including 3 pakistanis) crammed into a relatively small living room in rural Kansas to watch one of the most intense rivalries on the field. It was like watching the game live. The atmosphere was electric and every boundary, wicket or something eventful was greeted by thuderous roars. Luckily the apartment complex was filled with "desi" grad students and parallel shows were being telecast in other apartments. Hmm well the end result was of course favourable. Today, the environment was different but the outcome was the same. I was all alone and did not have live telecast but rather had to depend on text commentary through Cricinfo. But the fact was it was so much fun to watch both Australia regain the ashes and India outplay South Africa. Hmm..luckily I'm on a break now, so waking up at 4 in the afternoon can be forgiven (lol). Cricket is cricket. NFL/NBA will never get me to stay awake the whole night but a good game of Cricket sure will.

5 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I remember watching the india-pak match. We were a group of 5-6 families watching the match in my friend's apt. We had stupid rules such as, a person should stay seated the same way if a wicket fell... It is stupid crazy. But, I love it..:)

I am going to the Caribbean (end of march next year) to watch India play the world cup (much against survivor's disinterest, or should I say contempt..:))...

Mad Max said...

wowww...we are also trying to see if we can get some tickets...hopefully i will make it...me and a few friends are scheming and planning but it is not gettin anywhere right now...hopefully we can watch atleast one match..

sdpal said...

Cool.. now that would be a fun trip!

Survivor said...

I better not talk about this..

Mad Max said...

a sad day for world cricket today...shane warne has announced plans to hang up his boots in a couple of weeks and it is widely expected that Glenn McGrath will do so too...whew the ball to gatting from Warne..my oh my...that was one hell of a delivery...neways world cup australia minus Glenn McGrath will be interesting...