Thursday, December 07, 2006

Candid Candy

What a paradox that 'Candy' and 'Candor' sound so similar, yet mean entirely different things. In fact, could there be such a thing as Candid Candy? Interestingly, these two words are etymologically different. Candy traces its origins to the French word, 'Candi' and the Arabic 'Qandi' made from crystallised sugar 'Qand'. Maybe that is the origin of names for the Indian sweet Kalakhand too.

Candor, on the other hand also traces its origin to French - 'Candeur' and Latin 'Candor'. Candor implies the absence of sugar-coating, or an honest opinion.

While I value candor, I love candy, and I need both in my life.

4 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Candy means..crystallized sweets.. it hurts my teeth. Oh..I forgot! I had a dentist appt today and did not go.

I could've asked this question to Candy the "figure" I interviewed today. Oops! am I being too candid?

Kandy (the place in Srilanka) as any relation to this I wonder

Mad Max said...

very interesting...and brainwaves...unga comment kalakittell...especially the interview part...ROTFL

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Very simple..:)

Employee <=========> Employer
(takes money) (gives/takes money)

Candy <=============> Candor
(sweetness) (gives/takes sweetness)

Meera Manohar said...

Brainwaves-- awesome comment :)