Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Trying to contact...

We are trying to contact Karthik. Any South Indian knows the futility of this statement before they hit the full-stop. I am a bit fuzzy on the statistics, but it surely figures in the top 10 list of most frequent names. You see my parents-in-law and his parents became friends when they last visited here. Time passed...Karthik changed apartments and moved on. Now I want to contact them without their contact information.

I have a friend who works in the same company Karthik works for, and I shot him an email asking for Karthik's contact information. So, he must've dutifully contacted the Karthik and within the hour, I had all his phone numbers.

My husband (H) called him and this is how the conversation must have looked:
H: Hello.....May I talk to Karthik?
K: Yes.....that's me
H: Eh......how are you? So, did you guys move?
K: No.....why, and who is this?
H: Introduces himself - ** Still not sure because he doesn't sound anything like Karthik**How is Chitra doing?
K: Who Chitra? My wife's name is Lakshmi.
H now feels that the conversation is not going as well as it should. So, he volunteers more irrelevant information
H: Oh, doesn't Chitra work at Google?
K: Chitra may be working at Google, but I am married to Lakshmi.

At which point, H would have found it prudent to end the conv. BTW, the above piece of conversation is purely fictional. Point is: We got a different Karthik.

So, I shot off another email to aforesaid friend, and qualified it saying: He speaks the Coimbatore dialect of Tamil.

So, now what would my friend do with this useless piece of information? Stick a mike to another Karthik and ask him to say a few words in Tamil to validate?

I can't stop myself from giggling while imagining the following:
1) The quizzical look on Karthik's face when my friend approached him for contact information. He must have thought that his parents sphere of influence extends far & wide, and given him the numbers anyway.
2) The increasingly embarrassing conversation between the husband and the above Karthik.
3) Friend sticking a mike to all the Karthiks in the company and asking them to say a few words in Tamil (Thankfully, there was only 1 person by this name, and we had already established that he is not the person we were looking for)

6 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Just to add to this story, I did call Karthik both in Home & Cell and got his voice mail (totally different voice than the Karthik I know).

And he called me back after a while and I told him that I got the wrong number.

Now he must be wondering, how the hell someone got his cell & home by mistake
This is how mysteries are built I guess!!!

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Thats a funny one ! Reminds me of the time when I started talking to a stranger assuming him to be a friend of mine...It took me atleast a minute before I figured it out since the other guy didnt reveal who he was and put me in a position to guess who he was...

sdpal said...

Well, in case if you havent found him yet..
Try "zabasearch.com"
I tried couple of you guys and could find your latest address with the phone number (including mine. Although, I could find was my old phone no.)

Survivor said...

H:Hello..May I speak to Karthik?
L:I am sorry Karthik is not at home. This is his wife speaking.
H:Hello Chitra, how are u doing? Long time no see....
(Pin drop silence on the other end)
H:Hello! Hello..! Chitra...

After a few seconds, the conversation could have gone in two ways, depending on how smart Lakshmi was. If she was a smart one, she would have continued the conversation with "I am fine. How are you?" and would have accumulated as much info as possbile from Mr.H . On the other hand, if she were not, she would have said.."No, this is Lakshmi..I think you have reached the wrong Karthik." . In any case, I would not like to be in Karthik's position :-)

nourish-n-cherish said...

Wow.....interesting perspective Survivor! Mindframes, watch out for any wrong number who calls - Haa haa ha!

sdpal said...

@Mindframes: my friend got a wrong number call yesterday.. is it you ?
:-)