Monday, September 10, 2007

On the Road

Several years ago, we were on a family trip cruising towards the Grand Canyon. Our car seemed to start losing control. My brother, the driver, managed to get it to a graceful stop on the shoulder. We realized we had a flat. The tire was like shredded cheese and we had a long distance to travel before the next city. I can't remember now whether we had a cell phone. The road seemed to stretch forever on both sides, walking was out of question, it was a mile or so before we could get to a public phone. We started flagging other drivers to see if they would stop. Finally a truck driver stopped to give us a hand with changing the tire - we did not even have the right tools - bad contingency planning! If not for that good hearted guy, we would have spent hours on the road trying to get help.

Ever since that incident, I pay attention to other cars that look like they may be stranded on the highway. But that is all I do, I pay attention, I feel sorry for them, but I never have stopped to offer help. I don't feel particularly proud of it. In fact, this irrational fear of strangers embarrasses me. Yesterday, there was a woman jay walking on the road, who seemed to be lost in her own world, she could have very well lost her way and seemed to be in obvious need of help. I felt sad and was hoping she'd walk away from the road rather than towards it, but I did not do much more. My capability to look away and ignore a situation amazes me and somehow, I wish that atleast sometimes I didn't have the "Namakku yen vambu" attitude. I would be really proud of myself the day I actually stop and help someone.

3 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I can certainly understand that...I do feel guilty sometimes when I come across situations where I could have helped... But, as usual, I do have a theory on that...:)

I feel that the same guiltiness theme applies to a lot of situations. I think, no one can be good all the time, even to ourselves. Think about exercising and eating the right food and so on. We know it will be healthy and still, we dont follow it... The awareness of the situation is the key, in my opinion. As long as we are aware that we are bad and that we do bad things, it is still ok. At some point, we can try to correct it... But, trying to express ourselves to others and make others feel like we are good as if some strong power controlled us from doing the right thing...that, I dont like...

BrainWaves said...

This blog resonated well with me!

Other day my parents were saying, one elderly couple was standing next to a car (flat tire or something) and lot of people stopped to ask them whether they need help.

I tend to move on thinking someone else will help.

sdpal said...

Me too wrt car incident(s). Although I would blame crazy serial killers on the stranded road kinda movies..