Monday, September 17, 2007

If you are late, you are late..

I was in a hurry. It was a little longer than I anticipated at the post office and everyone was leaving for home! I hurried as much as the relentless traffic would allow, but was still 7 minutes late to my dental appointment and stressing over it. As I made a mad dash from the parking lot to the building as though the short sprint would earn me a few seconds in the stop watch of the imaginary record keeper. As I ran I felt like I was 11, but sadly reality struck. My brain's calculation of distances and the speed of my feet were out of sync. I missed my step and gravity brought me to hug the pavement. I felt the pain as I got off the ground in hurry. As I have done in the past (and I know I am not alone), I did not look at the ground at the imaginary obstacle that tripped me. But unconsciously I looked to see if the people in the building or in the parking lot took notice. Nope, nobody around. Satisfied about that and ignoring the fact that the fall cost me some 2 minutes, I went in.

Every move was excruciating. The kind of pain that makes you want to cry, but you don't because you are an adult and you realize these are insignificant and not tear-worthy. Fortunately, the dental work was painless. I was done with a good report and happy to be leaving. As I was signing the check, the receptionist spoke some sentence that ended in "fall". Did she see me take the fall? I am clumsy, but I don't like others knowing that.

I said "Excuse me", and she said "I said have a great fall". When you are in such pain, the context does not come to you quickly. Now I got it. I smiled in my head and thought, "I just did", I said "You too!". The irony of it all!

6 comments:

Survivor said...

Brought a smile to my face..:-) Good luck to no more falls in the fall..:-)

And looking at imaginary obstacles after getting up,LOL,wonder how you curtailed yourself from doing it.I don't just look at the invisible obstacle, I stare and swear at it..:-)LOL

Mad Max said...

@ bumblebee: hehehe...someday this will be a nice anecdote...hehhe...BTW dental and painless...wow now that is amazing...

Manohar said...

I love the ending- 'I just did' and 'You too'.
Nice reading.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

that must have been painful... was wondering, why the season is called fall? Looks like it doesnt just apply to leaves...:)

nourish-n-cherish said...

Ouch! Nice one!

sdpal said...

Good one. Nice and simple 'blog' blog.. although sorry for your "fall" fall.