Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Witness to our existence...

I was watching the movie "Shall We Dance" and the following piece of conversation that Susan Sarandon says sounded quite interesting to me...

Susan: Why is it, do you think, that people get married?
Guy: Passion...
Susan: No.
Guy: That's interesting. Because I would've taken you for a romantic. Why, then?
Susan: Because we need a witness to our lives... There's a billion people on the planet. I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, your're promising to care about everything - the good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things...All of it. All the time, every day. You're saying, "Your life will not go unnoticed, because I will notice it. Your life will not go unwitnessed, because I will be your witness"

[Courtesy: Subtitle on DVD]

4 comments:

nourish-n-cherish said...

Wow! That was neat! Reminds me of Paul Reiser in Couplehood when he says something to the tune of: Looking up your nostrils to see if they are dirty is reserved for the one you love the most :)

Mad Max said...

hmm..thats very interesting...very creative indeed...

bumblebee said...

That's a nice perspective. I married because I wanted company and to be not lonely. I guess its the same perspective, but her words are so much better in conveying that. Of course, she has a screenwriter, I don't.

You can also be noticed and watched by friends (or in some cases enemies) or be noticed by the helpful things you do, but you don't have to be married for that.

sdpal said...

Very nice perspective btw.

@bumblebee: Well friends dont see all the good and all the bad (and still live with you). YOu mostly show all the good to friends (although the bad will be out sooner or later).