Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Big Bite !

Why are foods here in US packed with all the gooey stuff that drips from all sides and are unable to be eaten easily? Is it just me? The common food items that come to my mind are the Burritos and all types of Burgers/Sandwiches. Is it the way I hold it or Is it the way I bite it? I dont know. Should I just let it (guacamole/tomatoes/dressings) go? Well, I like guacamole. I dont want to pay for a dish and not eat parts of it just because it falls back on the plate/paper, however disgusting it might be. I do perform decision making based on the size of the piece. But, with a piece falling for every other bite, it does get tricky. Dont even get me started on the spillings which run between fingers. Should I wipe after every bite or just wait till the entire food is stuffed in? I think, our stuffed parathas with side-dishes or masala dosas or kozhukattai or samosas are technically far more superior inventions in food than burgers and burritos. Not that I dont like them. But, I am just frustrated
about the logistics involved in consuming it.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone !!

7 comments:

Meera Manohar said...

**LOL**
Nice post Mindframes. Have wondered about it myself although haven't been in a dilemma too much since I am not a fan of either burgers or burritos!!

This kind of hits me most on Subway sandwiches which I am a great fan of. I used to get pretty worked up about it when I came here initially. But now, I take a sick pleasure in slurping whatever is on the wrapper w/t the use of my hands ofcourse:)) As to vazhinjings in between fingers-- haven't mastered it yet. Indha ooru baashaiyil "I am still working on it" literally and figuratively

nourish-n-cherish said...

NICE Mindframes! Everytime I eat a Specialty cafe's/Togo's/Subway sandwich, I look around furtively, derive a kick out of seeing others doing the same thing with their sandwiches, and then proceed to use my fingers to slurp off the fallen bits!

Mad Max said...

hehehehe....nice one mindframes...inevitably Subway ends up being my saviour for lunch most days...and yeah by the time the sandwich is done, i guess my office looks a lil bit worse than before...luckily i only have one colleague to share the office and he understands the travails of eating one of those...

Manohar said...

If one where to looking only at the most optimal way of eating a food, I don't necessarily think eating rasam saadham in a banana leaf with ones hand's is very optimal- but this doesn't prevent me from relishing this method of eating. I think its just a question of what one is used to- try telling the oriental eating (and drinking) noodle soup with chopsticks that its not really optimal...

So with this perspective, I find eating a wrap as enjoyable.

Survivor said...

SLURP !! SLURP !! SLURP !!

bumblebee said...

I have had some issues with Quizno's sub with the Guacamole running all over even as I open the package. To look and feel decent while eating this, I gave up Guacamole on the sandwich, even though I like it. I deliberately make a choice of soup or something convenient when I don't want to feel subconsciously about messing up.What a hypocrite!

sdpal said...

You can always ask for no extra stuff on your burger. If you really eat the burger with the paper on, your hand will not get gooey at all. Ive seen many people do that. Just dont take the burger out of the cover.