Thursday, November 30, 2006

Lice, Lice, go away

Do you remember scratching your head vigorously? No, not in wonder, but because it was really itchy? I remember all too well the "lice" problem I had when I was a kid, especially in primary and secondary schools. The "lice" exterminator was Palaniamma, our maid, who I used to refer to as "Pals", she had only 8 teeth. Whether I liked it or not, I had to go through hours of scrutiny every Sunday to not eliminate, but atleast reduce the lice population in my head. Maybe today the methods are different after a few decades. Here's what I came across, for those who are not absolutely disgusted by the topic.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6556272

3 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Very funny blog !!

I havent been a victim of lice myself, but, I have been a lice exterminator many times...:)

The statement that I liked the most out of the article...
"Head lice have no preference for dirty hair or clean hair. "If you wash your hair three times a day or more, the lice on your head will just be clean lice," Pollack says."

nourish-n-cherish said...

Oh god....do I remember those days? Strangely, we did not get lice when we were in the Hills (maybe cold temperatures were a factor too), but after every visit to the Plains, my mother would get busy with the "poochi seepu"!
PS: I know I'll get teased about hills/plains, but I can't think of any other term!

Survivor said...

Been in the plains....:-)