Sunday, July 02, 2006

Perspective

I was talking to my sister this morning. Being a slightly eccentric intellectual , she finds few people looking at things from her perspective.She is one of those persons who just gets carried away by the likes of Einstein, Feynman and Nash. She finds them to be really great people and admires them ferverently. I, on the other hand , definitely admire their intellect but rather call people with philanthropic attitude as great. Thats just my perspective.We usually agree to disagree.
Talking about perspectives, I remembered an interesting episode during one of my curves workouts. I was talking to one the ladies, who works in the SLAC lab at Sanford. She is elderly and has been working there for a long time. On hearing that she works in the theoretical physics department, I jumped with excitement and asked if she has met Feynman or listened to his lecture. She replied with a nonchalant "Yeah, I have attended one of his lectures. It was very popular and was full." ..I go, "Wow.It must have been really good listening to him." It follows with,"Yeah ..Hmmm..you know what,he was really interested in pretty women" , accompanied with an eye-roll. Hey! That what she remembers about Feynman and its her perspective.
Rights & wrongs, good & bad, best & great.....on and on...varies from person to person as per their perspective.

2 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I think perspective stems from what we want the world to be (wish list). Opinions are more of how we expect the world should be (must list). As long as the scope of our opinions doesnt interfere too much with other's perspectives, I think things would be peaceful...That's my opinion..:)

Mad Max said...

hehhe...every person has a weakness...one of my favourtie books is Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman...when one reads that book you get a feel what the guy really is and i think it is not surprise that he has an interest in good looking women (show me one man who does not lol)...so i think the perspective should be what has he done for science...there can be no questions on that...feynman was, is and will be a genius..heheh