Tuesday, July 04, 2006

My Little World

When I read a story, I start to imagine all the events in the book as if I get to picturise all of what goes on. It is as if, I watch a movie, only that it is inside my brain. But, dont we all agree that we can view things only through eyes. What was I doing? Does my brain bypass my path from eye to the brain into producing these signals which made my brain to think that I was looking at things that I only imagined? But, I was infact, reading the book and my eyes were looking at the book at the time. How does brain handle these multiple events and process them at the same time?

When I walk along the pavement, I tried to pick the inside of the square slabs than the edges or the corners. Infact, I dont even pick the squares adjacent to the one that I am in. In other words, I walk in a straight line. Suddenly, a thought came to me. If this straight line of slabs were hanging in air at a very large height, can I still walk along the path.. I probably cant. Is it because the brain judges the risk associated with walking along that path? If I were given a perception that I am suspended when in fact I am not, would I feel the same way? If I were to be removed from the perception and was able to walk through the suspended path, will I be able to easily walk along the path easily?

When I eat my food, I start wondering, is it the feeling that something going into my mouth makes me feel that I am eating and the feedback from stomach upon eating or the portion of food eaten thereof that tells me that I am done eating. What if I am virtually subjected to the same feeling through some sort of machine? Will I still feel the same way? This is not just eating, but a lot of our day to day activities, like the situations portrayed in the movie "Matrix". The sense of anything is only true to the extent that is decipherable by the brain. If brain is subjected to decipher things through an external stimuli, will brain do the same thing that it normally does?

The cuckoo clock just sounded 8:00PM. Shoba is not around. Now that it is already 8:00PM, I have to start thinking about cooking. May be, I dont need to. But then, I need to find the trade-off between going out and getting food from a restaurant versus cooking something on my own. I've got rice and beetroot poriyal from yesterday. All I need to do is to cook some gravy to add the rice to. May be I can just use paruppu podi or puliogare. Hmmm... what should I do?

9 comments:

sdpal said...

Heres what you do...
Call Shoba and ask her to come back asap :-)

nourish-n-cherish said...

Hmm...now I am waiting to see shoba's response to sdpal's comment!

I was about to suggest to mindframes that you stimulate your brain into imagining some gravy and eat your beetroot poriyal with rice!

sdpal said...

Well, what I really meant was..
Poor suresh to see, debating over each small things (Reading.. walking (on the slabs in the ground.. in the air), eating.. etc)
I can see, how he misses his missus.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

If we can only simulate gravy in our mind into thinking that we have had food...or rather, eat some gravy and just imagine that it is the gravy that we intend to eat...that would be good..

Is my brain out of control? Or is it just that it is my brain's intention to make you all feel that way...:)

BrainWaves said...

This is exactly why I loved the movie "Matrix".

Your 'thought experiment' was excellent. Yes, you could defintely do that walking irrespective of where it is.... infact that is the kind of thing used by people who walk on rope over Niagar or high-rise buildings use.

Mad Max said...

mindframes..i'm stumped man...completely lost...what about hallucinations???

Survivor said...

Its all in the mind, dude ! Your thought process is right..I absolutely agree that things are true to the extent as deciphered by your brain.
And if you are virtually made to feel certain things,you will still be doing as you were in real environment. That is the beauty of the human brain..

On a lighter note, I need to think of a virtual stimuli to make you think that Shoba is always around ....:-) That would be cool...

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Now, thats a scary thought....Shoba always around..:)

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I only wish that each of us get a unique world through hallucination that is void of all the irregularities that each of us perceive....:)