Sunday, June 11, 2006

Cost of getting things done ...

I was browsing through an year old IEEE Spectrum and the news that caught my attention was the article on Hydrogen based fuel. From a layman perspective, it is very attractive. Hydrogen is available in abundance. Once you produce hydrogen and liquefy it and burn it as a fuel, it will produce steam which in turn gets put back into atmosphere. With such an ideal picture, why isnt such a technology being adopted for mass consumption? The reason lies in the cost involved... (storing, transporting and creating a new infrastructure). It is not that I am against hydrogen based fuel. I am just talking about the cost involved. If hydrogen based fuel would cost us $10/gallon equivalent of gas, will we buy it? How much will we be willing to pay ? Anything less than the current gas price?

The important issue at hand is the real cost. For example, if you can get gold somewhere around 10 miles under the earth, does it make sense to get the gold ? Same is true with the cost of venturing into anything. At a very high level, a lot of times, things seem a lot simpler and easier than what it really takes to get it done. Why am I suddenly talking about all this stuff? If you havent guessed already, which I am sure you havent..:)..Yes, I am talking about Shoba's achievement of completion of her MS in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University. I know what it takes (some CP..;)) to complete an MS from Stanford. It is hard. Not just from an academic sense, but also in terms of the dedication and discipline it takes to sustain the momentum. You've been a constant inspiration to everyone around you. And, I salute you for this monumental achievement....

13 comments:

Mad Max said...

interesting observation...and congratulations to shobha..hmm completing the graduate program, especially from stanford...am sure that takes a ton out of the person...

nourish-n-cherish said...

Shoba...needless to say, we are all extremely proud of you! I hope your god-daughter follows your footsteps!

My parents passed on their best wishes to you on this achievement. I can now proclaim - 2 of our very close friends did their post-grad from Stanford!

Keep it up!

nourish-n-cherish said...

Shoba...needless to say, we are all extremely proud of you! I hope your god-daughter follows your footsteps!

My parents passed on their best wishes to you on this achievement. I can now proclaim - 2 of our very close friends did their post-grad from Stanford!

Keep it up!

sdpal said...

I didnt guess it either.. although I knew about the graduation. Congrats Shoba (why am I congratulating her, in your blog!?)

BrainWaves said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BrainWaves said...

Hell a lot of commitment is required to finish Stanford M.S.
Kudos to you Shoba!

Now, Should I embarass you with more CP?

Suresh/Shoba
When are you guys starting your Ph.D? Come on.. don't be lazy guys!

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Brainwaves, my idea is to embarass shoba for now...;)...

Mad Max said...

@ Mindframes: you should really consider putting a post abt work at stanford..heheh..the story of two stanford graduates...would be fun to read...

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

To add to my CP, (by the way CP means Cheap Publicity)... Checkout the following link...

http://scpd.stanford.edu/scpd/about/kiosk/gradsDB/survivorStories/Sankaralingam.htm

Mad Max said...

whoa...are u pursuing ur MBA at the GSB ???

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

nope, not at stanford... I am pursuing an MBA from Santa Clara University...

Survivor said...

Thanks Saumya, sdpal, brainwaves and Anup. Now, I am getting really embarassed as Mindframes expected. I was thinking hard as to why he wrote this blog....him being the master of CP and all... Hmm..Ofcourse, he knows that he has been my constant motivator to get to this point ,right from making me write GRE, applying for my masters, pursuing it faithfully till now,given my health saga especially . I guess that has to be a different blog anyway...If I write about it here, Mindframes would have accomplished his goal...:-)

Mindframes,
Dei, konjam CP..a nirruthuda..

Anup,
We are all kings and queens of CP here..You should get used to it.:-)

Mad Max said...

@ Mindframes: ooh okie..SCU..hmm i think prof. Ranjan Das teaches there..he is a big gun in computational finance..

@ Survivor: CP..hmm a degree from Stanford..come on ur being humble here..its not CP (atleast to me lol)..uve earned it...so might as well share it...congratulations once again...