Tuesday, December 20, 2005

REALITY CHECK

I AM ALIVE
I can SEE,HEAR,TALK
I can WALK
I can SMELL,TASTE
I can THINK
I can SLEEP

Some of the things that we take for granted in life including LIFE. Be thankful that you can do all these things . There are millions around the world for who this is not a simple task . I remember the days when my sister always used to scold me for not finishing my dinner and wasting food,chiding me with" Do you know there are millions who starve without dinner?". My thoughts used to be "Yeah...blah..blah.., whatever". Next time, when you complain about a head ache, think about others who get migraine head aches and suffer for days together. Next time, when you complain about walking a few steps to get something, thing about disabled people who would love to just walk around whenever possible, if they can. These are just the basic necessities in life you take for granted. Of course, we can extend it to money etc.... and lot more.

Above all, the next time when you have a bad day and wonder why life is treating you so bad, think about millions who are fighting for their every day survival and be THANKFUL that you are ALIVE !! . The most volatile thing in this world is LIFE.

4 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I always flip flop on this question. I think, a bad day is a bad day is a bad day. I can think of other things to console or convince myself that it could have been worse and do all reality checks. To me, the bottomline is, I dont crib to others. There is a huge world where things that you are cribbing for, may not make much sense or have very little significance.

That said, being contented is always good except when you race...:)...Infact, I always say that, Buddha should have said "Contentment is the root cause of all happiness" instead of the more pessimistic "Desire is the root cause of all evils"...:)

sdpal said...

Although, it looks as simple as that.. its not. If it were.. there wouldnt be any problem in this world at all.
But, once in a while, stuff like this you read and see, makes you walk through life in straight line.

bumblebee said...

I appreciate every word you have written. Last week our place had ice rain and all the trees had a layer of ice covering it. In the morning when the sun shone on it, it looked like diamonds. The sight was extremely fascinating and I was thinking about all those people who are not able to see those beautiful sights.

Every time something is snatched or almost snatched from us, I believe we appreciate it all the more.Maybe believing that it could be snatched any instant also brings the same sort of appreciation.

BrainWaves said...

It is multiple step cyclic process.

Everyone goes through this cycle of feeling bad, comparing and cheering up.

Based on different personalities we stay in each phase for different interval.