Friday, December 30, 2005

Honor Killing

We read and hear lot of news everyday. But some causes ripples in your thought process and makes them go back and forth inter-mingle them. Here is one such.

I listened this in NPR on my way back from work. An Iraqi guy was narrating with the help of translator.

“Honor is everything in our society. How can our family show our faces to society? After the incident we were humiliated and embarrassed. Though she is beautiful, intelligent and nice, we have no choice but to kill my sister. What else we can do?”

It ripped my heart when I learn that “crime” her sister committed was getting abducted by some unknown kidnappers. She was away one night and released by the kidnappers.

They did not even ask the girl whether she was raped. But they decided merely the act of abducted for a ‘night’ is enough to bring down the Honor of the family. So, they decided to kill her – just to make sure their honor is intact.

Worst part is ‘Honor killing’ is accepted phenomenon and police turns other way.

The guy who killed claims he did this for the family and wouldn’t mind doing it again if required. He sounded very genuine. He also said, if it were a guy they would have celebrated with feast (sacrificing a goat). Instead they sacrificed her.

Leaving the male dominated society issues aside, (which I agree is the problem) I started wondering about how a human mind can think that killing another person (in this case a loving sister) is for good cause. What is the difference between this and a military guy killing others for his country’s good cause?

What a world apart we all live in. I was wondering how can someone believe the above said. But that is exactly the problem around the world isn’t it? People have their own belief system and think everything else as wrong.

I was disturbed, irritated and sad after hearing that. But after an hour I was sitting in front of TV and watching some sitcom and laughing. Somewhere else a guy is pulling a trigger with heavy heart. GOD help us all.

3 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I am as frustrated and as disturbed as you after reading this blog. I am just not able to digest the anomalies that exist in the world, even now. I can understand people who dont value life. But, I cant understand those who dont value love and affection. Without any particular bias, I am quite perplexed why most of these brutal measures are very common in only Muslim dominated societies. Is it education or belief or a government which enforces and maintains such thoughts with the people? Whatever it is, I can only hope that things get better with every passing year. With the start of another new year, we should all be very very thankful for the life that we are leading and for the dearful friends we've got....

MY HEARTY WISHES TO ALL OF YOU FOR A FUN-FILLED YEAR AHEAD! I HOPE THAT ALL YOUR MIGHTY AND NOT SO MIGHTY DREAMS COME TRUE !!

bumblebee said...

It is genuinely pathetic. Only wish Karate and such training were an integral part of every girl's education. I can see how fighting skills might be more helpful than singing or dancing. (No offense to these arts, however).

Survivor said...

What can I say?Words fail me. There are some things in this world which will take centuries to change and this is one of them. And, we cant change much as every one comes and leaves this world alone and has his own life to lead , unfortunately, except for a few leaders.