Monday, August 27, 2007

Relatively Simple

We went to a Thai restaurant today. There is this person in our team who always goes for the spiciest version of the food. Believe me, this is the kind of spiciness that you should really avoid... This particular place even has a scale from Thai Hot to 1 star Thai Hot all the way to 5 star. This friend of mine was trying out the 5 star. In comparison, I was trying the mild version and was sweating all over... The idea of tomorrow morning is already haunting me..:)..Anyway, I was wondering what it would be like for him to taste my mild fried rice. Would it be spicy for him or just plain bland? There are often times when I have wondered why the quest for something, more often than not, changes our baseline definition of our current state. For example, when someone is poor, they want to become rich. But, when they get richer, they still want to get richer, or rather, they still think they are still poorer. Expressing one's thoughts is another example. The more effort one puts into understanding something that looks complex, their perception of simplicity changes.

I was reading up on Relativity by Einstein. For the person he is, he considers certain elements of his thought process to be very simple and rudimentary, so that even a caveman could understand it..:) But, my understanding, or should I say, my perception of what he is trying to say baffles me. If not anything, the only thing that I learnt from this book is that the perception of things change dynamically. In other words, nothing changes in absolute domains. It is just our perception. Think about it, when we get richer, our definition of richness changes. As we get faster, our notion of time and distance changes. As we learn something that is complex, our definition of simple changes. Complexity becomes the new simplicity. In Einstein's words, if Gulliver had shrunk or expanded when he entered Lilliput or Brobdingnag according to the scale of its inhabitants, he wouldnt have noticed anything different. In real life, interestingly, thats what happens all the time. Our scope and vision transforms itself based on what we know at that point of time. Though this might sound like a "simple" statement, this is one of the fundamentals which was key in formulating the principles of relativity.

6 comments:

Manohar said...

Awesome! some really spicy food for though :)

But only you can go from thai food to einstein in 2 paras. Bravo!

Mad Max said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mad Max said...

@ mindframes: very interesting indeed...as mano said...from thai food to Einstein...hehehe...BTW coming to think of it though...here is a counter example (maybe its just me who thinks this way)...when our waistline increases, does our definition for being fat change???? As we get faster, the faster speed becomes the norm...as we get richer, we set higher standards for being rich...but as our waistline expands, we seem to want to go lower and lower to be fit...dunno if I'm making sense here...but after huffing and puffing for about 1 hr and burning just shy of 700 calories, i feeeellll soooooooooooo angry with myself (but gettin at 700 is BIGGGG achievement for me)...hehehehehehe....

BTW how do u guys keep running and running and running folkss...what is the secret...i find running for 15 mins on the trot difficult...lol

Survivor said...

I think this holds good for stress also. Once you get used to a stressful life, it doesn't feel like stress any longer. A long commute might be stressful for the first few weeks, but becomes a norm after sometime and people don't realise that they are getting stressed. Same with any kind of physical or mental stress.

BrainWaves said...

Very true. I have a blog idea in my mind about circular level of understanding so let me not comment more here :)

sdpal said...

"In comparison, I was trying the mild version and was sweating all over... The idea of tomorrow morning is already haunting me..:).."
- After this comment, I thought this blog was mano's and then I saw Einstein.. relativity.. etc.. I knew its you..