Wednesday, August 08, 2007

0-100K in 8 years

I distinctly remember the May 1999. Awe and unknown of living in the foreign land far away from the safe nest was not over yet. Got the hang of right lane and left hand drive from Suresh and co. With the backing from pros who bought Passats & Audis when Corolla & Civic are the standard, I went to car shopping.

I will leave the car shopping in dealership to another blog. In summary, after tug-of-war, we settled on the price and I signed the dotted line to get my Acura Integra, the brand I never heard before. To sound knowledgable I educated myself to 0-60mph time, horsepower, fuel efficiency etc. (though I have to find what they meant much later).

It was Mile 0 for both me & my Acura. Driving up and down on El camino is how it started. The journey continued... From weekend Tahoe drives to adventurous long drives the car has travelled with me everywhere.

Acura saw so many things as we both traveled together.
- It carried a awe stuck early 20s bachelor and his friends across the valley aimlessly
- It moved job with him
- It saw aggressive 90 mph (in 40 mile zone) changing into to passive 65mph in freeways.
- It smiled at its driver's changing music taste
- And happy at driver's changing life status (bachelor->married->father)
- It even worked a small squirrel's part in getting its driver married to a beautiful girl(would-be mapillai is owning Acura so he must have some taste in life was the comment by cross-reference guy :) )
- It safely carried the new born around in the compact back seat

Apart from the aging issues it never disturbed its lazy owner much.

Yesterday as I was driving past Auto Mall parkway after 8 years and few months later, the car odometer touched 100000. I am happy to travel so far with you too Acura-Integra 4FGP160!

7 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Cars do form an integra(l) part of life...:)... I was trying to calculate the amount of time you would have spent in the car. The math wasnt straight forward... I ended up with a conservative approximation of 30mph (accounting for the signal light stops). That would mean, you have spent close to 140 full days in the car !! (about half a year in the past 8-9 years)... Great job dude !!

nourish-n-cherish said...

That was a fantastic post! BTW, you got the car number wrong - or was it on purpose ;)

I really love that car too - extremely well-written post.

BrainWaves said...

Car/Registration number wrong? It is like forgetting Wife's birthday..only the car won't remember it forever :)

Survivor said...

Well written ! We do get very comfy with our cars and it is tough to let go...While I was shopping for a new car , nothing seemed to be as good as my Acura..:-)

sdpal said...

Good post dude..
Mines acura too.. yeyy...
but 25k more to go for me to reach 100k

Mad Max said...

nicely written blog dude...whew...seems to be a host of acura's...not a big car guy...but always dreamin of the BMW round the corner (lol)...

Manohar said...

As a treat to your car, why don't you take it for a much needed water wash and perhaps a luxuious service spa?