Friday, April 13, 2007

Default State

It has been a while since I relaxed my brain muscles. My work is on auto-pilot mode these days, I do things without really thinking about it too much. Not that they dont require thinking, but the thinking part of it is hardwired in a way that obviates any additional thinking. It raised a strange question to myself. What does "thinking" really mean? One thing I know for sure is that it means different things for different people.

One could say that, we think about something all the time. How can one not think about anything? Then, does knowledge enhance thinking? As a new born kid, did we have our genes and system wired up to start thinking, just like the fishes swim? If we attribute our thinking to be proportional to knowledge acquired over a period of time, then how do we define the default state to be? Can I redefine default state as a state of ignorance of a topic even as an adult? If so, can I say that we are pretty much operating on our default state for most of the things around us, because we dont know what everyone else is thinking and everything before us is just a snapshot of how we see them and not how it ought to be seen? We can always use our imaginations to come up with theories for every little thing that happens around us and there are infinite possibilities. What if we start thinking about all the cases where everything around us is happening for a valid reason...No, I am not talking about God or any other super natural power. All I am trying to say is that, there is probably a story behind every good or bad thing that happens around us which can be looked at in a positive way. Wouldnt just looking at it from that point of view make everything around us reasonable? Wouldnt that mean that the world is a better place to live? Is it just that we just have to break up our default wired state to get rid of all our frustrations and problems ? I dont know...

3 comments:

Survivor said...

@Mindframes,
OK, ennamo penathiringanu theriyudhu....

sdpal said...

@mindframes:
You are tricking me to *think* actually. Sorry! Im not going to fall for that.

BrainWaves said...

Very very interesting...to think about this