Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Big Sur(ge) Ahead...

Well, I decided to not write a whole lot about my running this time till I complete my Big Sur marathon. But, given the magnitude of the effort I have put in, I wanted to pat myself on the back on what I have done so far instead of focussing just on the end result, which is the actual marathon itself.

Having completed my first marathon last year, as everybody else, I thought I should run another marathon, at a better pace.... I wasnt quite convinced with my timing on my first marathon since I felt that, if I had paced myself right, I wouldnt have ended up having as many cramps as I did during the last 6 miles of the marathon, which killed my time by around 20-30 minutes... I thought I should try the sacramento marathon just a month later and dismissed it since it was just an impulsive thing to do...

When Mano told me about Big Sur marathon in late November, I wasnt up for it. First of all, it was a slightly challenging marathon, given the hills and elevation. Secondly, I preferred a flatter course to improve my marathon time. I also thought that I should better my half marathon speed really well before attempting another full marathon. I told him that I would run with him in Ranchos hills since it would help increase my pace for the half marathons. We did some hill running during December and by January, I was convinced that I should take up Big Sur... Runner's world magazine says that, if a runner had a choice of running only one marathon in his life time, it would be Big Sur and I thought that I shouldnt pass on that oppurtunity even if I cannot run it at my best pace...

My training base was solid this time. But, I didnt do any long runs (> 10 miles) till end of January. So, it was a little sluggish from that angle. However, I joined a Gym called Club One and I was regularly doing cross training. So, that was an addition to my running schedule. Also, I was doing interval training once a week which greatly helped my pace.

On Feb 1, I decided that I was going to dedicate the next couple of months for the marathon. No excuses....My objective was to run atleast 3-4 16 milers and 2 20 milers before marathon over the course of 2 months. I started training 6 days a week of which 4 days were running, 2 days were cross training and 1 day of rest. I ran a 14.5 miler the first week-end of february and then increased it to 16.2 and 16.5 miles the weeks following that. Then, I did an 18.5 followed by 10.5. In March, I did an 18.5, 19 and a 20 miler with the last week as a break since I went to Antigua. Just last week, I did a 20 miler again. I was quite impressed with myself about sticking to my schedule.

This year, as of April 11, I have run 400+ miles and cycled close to 200 miles, totalling ~600 miles of activity excluding the weight training that I did during my cross training days. When I look back at it, I am impressed with myself. My pace as of last week for the 20 miler was around 9 minutes and 12 seconds. I ran my 20 miles in roughly 3 hours excluding 4-5 minutes of break time in between during my 13 and 16.5 mile stops. If I had to run a marathon today, I think I should be able to do it in 4:00-4:15 hrs. But, given that Big Sur has a hilly terrain, I should discount another 10-15 minutes. My target for Big Sur is to be between 4:15 and 4:30 if everything goes my way and I dont get any sickening cramps.

I am well on my way to taper. Last time, I considered taper as my time of rest. But, after some reading, I think it is a big mistake. The books advice you to reduce the mileage to 75% and then 50% but yet running those miles at the same pace as how you would run during regular training weeks. With the marathon on April 29, I am hoping to complete this month with 500 miles of running, my half way mark for the year's target of 1000 miles ! It may not be time to light up the cigar, but it sure is time to buy one and smell it...:)

9 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Awesome committment, discipline & dedication! You can certainly pat yourself on your back for sure.

All the very best for the marathon!

Meera Manohar said...

Having seen you do it, I am not suprised that it took you so long to give that pat Mindframes :)

Great going and good luck!! We will be right there to welcome you on your 2nd marathon finish!!

Kudos for your perseverance and discipline...

Manohar said...

I will be there at the finish line... great job dude.

Manohar said...

Forgot to add:
kannukku maiy azhaghu
kavidhaikku poi azhaghu
....
...
discipline-kku suresh azhaghu.

nourish-n-cherish said...

WOW! CONGRATS! I am not surprised anymore, but I continue to be impressed.

All the best!

Survivor: What happened to your part of the New Year resolution *Narayana Narayana ;)*

Survivor said...

Saumya,
I am realising that I have a very tough task ahead of me..:-(( .With his passion , discipline and determination , I am finding it tough to even say anything against it..:-).We still have 8 more months to go..Lets see..

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Thanks a lot folks... Your words of inspiration means a lot to me....

As much as I hate to bask in the glory of a CP, I simply couldnt resist this one...;)

Manohar said...

@mindframes: 'As much as I hate to bask in the glory of a CP'... awwww nooo! really?

Just kidding.

Unknown said...

@mindframes:
Good work dude..You can give couple more pats.. You deserve it. Good luck on bigsur marathon..