Tuesday, February 20, 2007

His and Her Closets

I walked into the house, and surveyed the surroundings. I was out looking for a house that would satisfy my desires of a dream home. The living room was large, with a minor raised level constituting the family room where the family could have their meals. The kitchen needed some upgrades, but roomy and airy! I stepped into a pretty large room that was ridden with cobwebs.

"Is this a walk-in closet", I asked?

My realtor nodded, while the old lady, who lived in the home, looked at me quizzically and decided to ignore my question. We stepped into another bare room, and I exclaimed :

"WOW! A HIS and HER closet. This is lovely!"

The old lady, who now bore an uncanny resemblance to my grand-mother, looked at me like only a grandmother can look at a grand-child, and said she has around 10 sarees that she folds and keeps in her steel gray trunk. The first room was used to store the bags of rice after a harvest, and the smaller room was for storing maize. Why did she need such large rooms for clothes?!

At which point I burst out laughing, and got up from my sleep. I kept thinking about paati's face and smiled to myself!

The day is not far-off when folks walk into village houses in Singaperumal Kovil (a tiny village near Chengalpet) with similar comparisons, since Chengalpet has now opened up to IT firms!

3 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Now, I know that you are indeed well into the housing market..:)

Well, it is interesting to observe how housing style changes over time. I dont know if you meant the bigger closet to be "HIS" and smaller to be "HERS" or the other way... But, I think, "HIS" closet is usually smaller...:)..Not only because we keep less items, we just stuff them into the closet..:)

Mad Max said...

okie speaking of closet..hmm i have one..dun matter what size it is...it is REALLY REALLY BAD...i leave the rest to your imagination...LoL

BrainWaves said...

It is always funny to imagine what your grand parents or great grand parents will say about our lifestyle and gadgets.

Or who knows they adopt better than us.
I can imagine my patti hearing kribandha variyar lectures in iPod......:)