Thursday, February 15, 2007

Why do women cry more than men?

I was watching American Idol yesterday. Not that I am a big fan of it or anything, for lack of any other interesting TV programs, I ended up watching it. Simon displayed his usual atrocity towards the weaker contestants. Anyway, whenever a girl got rejected out of the show, they displayed intense emotional outbursts (most of the time) which included crying. Most of the guys either just walked out or yelled at the show organizers. I do have the backgrounds of the men are from mars and women are from venus thingy. But, that said, I was wondering why women, who are supposedly very stable at handling a lot of things cry?

I was trying to find a rationality behind the crying process. In some cases, I do think it is a strategy to make the opponent emotionally weaker. But, in other cases, it just seems like women are emotionally weaker. But, is it true? I for one dont believe that women are emotionally weaker. Is it just that crying is just their way of displaying sorrow ? It is possible that men are inbred with a notion that crying displays weakness, and to establish their "cool" factor, they stop crying unless it is an extreme circumstance? One could just display an emotion or rather respond to situations in different ways. Is it just that, men consider crying to not be one of them and women dont? I do think that crying carries more weightage than keeping quiet when you are sorrowful and hence some advantage. I dont understand why... Yet another thing that I dont understand and there stops my babbling...

5 comments:

Survivor said...

A recent quote that I read,
"Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it." Yes,women cry more and sometimes, even without any reason..:-)

Quoting from "How Stuff Works"
A possible explanation for this is the hormone prolactin, which contributes to how much people cry. Prolactin is present in blood and tears, and it's more prevalent in women than in men. Women's tear ducts are also shaped a little differently from men's, which could be either a cause or an effect of increased crying [Source: New York Times]. In addition, people who are depressed may cry four times as much as people who are not, and two-thirds of people diagnosed with depression are women.

All said,society also plays a major factor forcing men not to cry, I guess.

Another interesting blog would be, "Are women more jealous than men?"

sdpal said...

Or the TV Show tends to show more drama whenever possible.. hence shows more women (who happen to cry!). People seldom like crying men!
I wonder, will they ask the permission of the participant before they air it ?

nourish-n-cherish said...

Good one sdpal. Who remembers Chitthi serial in Tamil? In that serial, Sivakumar was shown to be guy who cried - and boy, was it bad! With crying women in serials atleast, you can wonder how they cry without the kajal and mascara dripping off, while they bawl their eyes out. But with men, what can you think about while they cry?!

Mad Max said...

hmm okie here goes...i dunno if this is universally true though...but i have no qualms in crying...if i feel like crying i just let go...cry away to my hearts content...its always better to let ur emotions go with the flow of things (atleast in my view)...after the tears it always feels better...lol

Meera Manohar said...

I was so reminded of this post while watching American idol last night when the girls performed :)