Monday, February 13, 2006

When it pours in Madras

I was in India last December (2005) when Chennai was receiving its share of unusually heavy rainfall. The week I landed the sky was dark grey all day long. The Adayar river (I don’t like using the word cooum) was flowing to its brim and overflowing into the open grounds along side. It would start pouring before you could finish crying out "its raining". I am a rain lover and just get excited and start jumping around when it rains. My mom and I would run outside the house to grab the clothes drying out in the open. Once the rain stopped we would go out and hang the clothes again until the next time it poured. I would be the first to jump out of my chair and run out in the rain to remove the "clips" and get the clothes from the "kodi". It reminded me of my childhood in trichy and made me feel like a kid again. Well, I always feel like a kid when I visit my parents. As my parents say, I will always be their kid. Back in trichy I remember my grandmother tying a clothesline inside the house and hanging all the clothes(when it rained). When I got back from school I would be bathed In the smell of wet clothes.

Back to madras, December 2005 for a bumpy ride. The rains made the side streets and even the main "tar" roads worse. Some sections of the road were eroded by the rain water making the road look like a birds eye view of mountains and valleys. Hey look at it this way, we don’t need to go up the mountains to do mountain biking its right at our door steps. Every time my dads car went over a bump, the bump would hit on the base of the car. So we would elevate ourselves a few inches from the seat when we knew we were going over a bump. Surprisingly, couple of days after the rains stopped we had the municipality folks come down to lay down a new road!!

Every time it started raining I would run out to smell the "Mann Vasanai". I just love the smell that arises from the soil when the first few drops of rain fall on it. Its called "Mann Vasana" literally translated to "Smell of Soil". I wish I could capture it in a bottle and take it with me every where I go. I think it is special to the soil in India. The few rare occasions it rains in Southern california I run out to see if I can smell the "Mann Vasanai" only to come back disappointed.

The rains left the city looking clean with all the smog settled down, Created a lot of small pools for the kids to play in, made the hot afternoon tiffen of frothy filter coffee & dry bakoda with crisp onion and curry leaves very inviting, washed away the rice flour patterns(kolam) in the doorways and made be yearn to come back to madras. I hope I would, someday..

4 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Your blog made me to re-live the moments that used to take a back seat in my stressed out brain... I think we never know what we are enjoying till we start missing it...

I am not much into standing in rain.. But, I like to watch rain. When the land is dry and full of mud and dust, the rain forms an interesting pattern with each drop...I like that.. I like the way the wind shapes the rain flow as it comes down... I like the fact that, though the rain seems like a transparent wire from up above, it never shorts the electric wires (the big transformer ones) to ground...and much more... It is funny. I dont know when and where I lost my innocence into admiring the beauties of nature that I see everyday to look out for the seemingly beautiful vacation spots very far away...

BrainWaves said...

I felt the same way. It kindled my childhood memories. Good observations.

Survivor said...

"Pitter,Patter raindrops...
I am wet through.."

Hmmm..I do like "Mann Vasanai" a lot. The best thing about rain is the clear sky after it ends though I do hate the mosquitoes that come with it ...In our Annanagar house in Trichy, we used to stay indoors after the rain for a couple of days 'coz of the water that used to enter our compound .Luckily, we stayed in the first floor or the second floor in US standards!!

bumblebee said...

Nice account! Especially loved the part about Bakoda and filter coffee - resonates with me. I love watching the rain from inside the house and enjoying the fried goodies!