Monday, February 20, 2006

The Road not taken

The day was Wednesday. Undoubtedly the most productive day of the week. It was 750 AM when I left the house. I was a full 20 minutes late leaving the house. I am quite obsessed about being at work by 8:15 at the latest. I drove in a frenzy, fleetingly remembering Mindframe's blog about speeding. I was almost at the exit from the freeway and I saw that it was clogged with traffic -bumper to bumper. I stayed course unwaveringly hoping that things will clear out. A whole 5 minutes later, nobody had moved. I decided to turn around to take the interstate in the slightly longer route. I slipped out of the long line and went up to the nearest u-turn and retraced the path to get to the interstate. As I passed the exit, I craned my neck to see if the traffic had passed up. The cars were still standing and that gave me an inner glow that I had made the right choice by getting out. As I drove to office, the new route I was taking suddenly felt terribly long. My mind kept questioning the wisdon in the decision and I longe to know what happened in my original route and whether it had cleared up since I left.

I finally reached my office that morning at 8:30 am. The world wasn't much affected because I was 15 minutes late to work! But all the thinking reminded me of the poem by Robert Frost called, The Road not taken, that we studied in school. Its a lovely poem and strickes a chord with me because I don't let the past slip away from me very easily. I think a lot about it. It is never easy for me to let go. I searched for the poem online so I could read it again... like I have done many times before and made a mental note to share it with my fellow bloggers.

The Road not taken - Robert Frost
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. 20

3 comments:

Survivor said...

Yes !! I do remember this poem by Frost. It was one of my favourites in school. Somehow, I was thinking it was called "The Road less travelled" . Thanks for reminding us Bumblebee.

BrainWaves said...

Yes. I do remember this poem very well (atleast till the second para). Very deep poem.

Thanks to Bumblebee and partly to Frost. (what is a author without a reader and promoter :))

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I was just thinking about this poem 2 days back on my trip back from tahoe (even thought of writing a blog around it...:))... Me and my friends were stuck in a very slow traffic and we were debating about taking a side road, which seemed to be parallel to the freeway. But, we werent sure if it was going to be parallel all the way or diverge from the freeway. We werent sure if we were going to lose the gained time by getting lost in a road which we have no idea about... We finally stuck to the freeway, the most risk-free choice... I remembered this poem then... One of the best poems in my list of favourites (by the way, Manmadha raasa is the undisputed no.1 in the list).

I guess many of us take the less risky choice most of the times to optimize on the foreseeable reality than take the less travelled road. I personally like the roads less travelled by. Whether one succeeds or not, one will definitely learn something that they didnt know before...