Thursday, April 23, 2009

Big Sur 2009.. Finally around the corner

With today's run, I will have completed my training for Big Sur 2009 (April 26th), my first spring marathon and my first marathon in about 2 years. My last one was at San Francisco in 2007 about 30 days after Ayush was born, with a finish time of 5:15 -- So anything faster than that will make me happy.


Things that went well:
1. All my runs were in the morning. Though I'm not a morning person, I think morning runs are way better than noon or evening ones. For one, there are fewer reasons (fewer! But not zero) to ditch the run.
2. All my runs were on the road. Though I'm not sure if this really is an advantage.
3. Three runs a week program is really working for me. The key is to make all 3 runs hard ones. My first 19 mile run on this program was a resounding success. Rowing as cross training is also fabulous.
4. Spring = Pollen. Asthma abound, kept an inhaler ready. Nipped the asthma in the bud.
5. Having Suresh as my pacer for my 20 mile runs. For a 3:30 marathoner, running 20 miles at 9:30 min/mile pace is a breeze and that enthusiasm rubs off on you.
6. Got my weekly mileage high pretty early on. This really helped. Although my initial goal was to touch 40 miles a week, I came close at 36 miles a week.

Things that are causing me concern:
1. I haven't run that many hills. Plus my longest hill run was only 12 miles. Big Sur has rolling hills near mile 20.
2. My left knee is behaving like a jerk (knee jerk.. get it?).

On race day, my plan is simple. I will hang out with the 4:30 pace group as long as is possible and if anything unexpected pops up, I will just wing it from there. Bottom line, I really enjoyed this training schedule and I'm really really looking forward to running along the jagged edge of the western world.




10 comments:

sdpal said...

Good luck and hoping to see the pictures of you crossing the endline with smiling face and waving hands..

anand said...

Good luck man :)

Meera Manohar said...

I still am unsure if your son will be kind enough to let me even a mile near the carmel finish line :)

But, seeing you train has inspired me to try a marathon ( you know this is just to make you feel nice, right?? You SHD know I am kidding LOL) sometime before I croak!!!

These days, my goal every single morning and evening is to petition to Ayush: keyword BEHAVE, and not jump out of my arms this Sunday. Just one day, hell, not even a day, just those 10 mins at the finish line is all I ask for :)

Breeze through....... Manu, and all the very best! You deserve to get to the finish line despite pudungals like me/ayush, pollen, frame relay's etc!

Enjoy the pain :-)

srikrish said...

All the best!

Run in comfortable pace and DONT push for first 18 miles.. you need all the energy to run from 18 onwards...

Remember it is beautiful view from 13th mile.. so your first 13 miles is just to jog to reach that point :)
(Easier said!!!)

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Wish you the best dude !

I think 4:30 is definitely an achievable goal. Be gentle on the hills till mile 16. After that, try to avoid the banking in the road by aligning yourself either to the middle of the road OR along the curb section of the road. It can make a BIG difference to your knees when you get to 22+ miles... You have done enough Ranchos to know what it feels like to run in hard hills... Compared to Rancho, the hills in big sur is nothing... It is where they appear that makes some(?) difference...:)

All in all, I think you have trained well and you will do well... Sleep well and hydrate yourself very well. Try to take a throw away type jacket since it might be colder in Big Sur and you will end up spending considerable time outside... Enjoy the race !!

Manohar said...

sdpal & Obelix: Thanks guys!

sriks: will keep it in mind, in any case I'm not going to storm up the hills :) Thanks!

meera: We will buy the marathon photos this time for sure so you can see my finish :)

suresh: will keep banking in mind, thanks. The way I figured, if I reach mile 20 by 3:20, I can be at 26 in 4:30.

nourish-n-cherish said...

All the best Manu! Here's wishing a smooth 4:30

Survivor said...

All the best for your run , Mano .

Manohar said...

Saumya and Shoba: Thanks a lot :)

Mad Max said...

yo mano...all the best man...ur marathon reminds me of Run to the hills by Iron maiden...

...Riding through dustclouds and barren wastes
Galloping hard on the plains
Chasing the redskins (knee???) back to their holes
Fighting them at their own game...

good luck brother...