Thursday, January 10, 2008

"Hey! How are you?" I hear a genuinely surprised voice. A familiar face comes into focus, and my bleary mind finally places the face as one of the commuters I used to see everyday on the public transit. I remember talking to her once or twice, but the details of the conversations are blotched out. Gone. Erased. Clean slate.

My expression has turned from a dazed one into a smile that shows vague recognition, as I reply - "Good...how are you? I haven't see you in a long time!"

I can feel my nerves rattle like a toy held over the head of a giggling 4 month old, as she remembers how far my workspot is from the transit terminal, the name of my office, and even my daughter. She fondly asks after my daughter, and I am still trying to get her name! How I wish my brain had a search functionality that could access archived areas of the "past" database.

I remember she has children, and ask vague questions about their well-being. I hope she doesn't sense my desperation, but I am sure she does. I hastily take leave, still wracking my brain. It starts with an 'N' - I start down the path of listing all the names I know starting with 'N' and cross them out with plausible explanations. I know this will nag me till the next time a similar incident happens, and I start out with another alphabet.

I read somewhere that names can be remembered if you wish to remember it. But here is the thing: I seldom ask anyone's name with the intention of not remembering it.

I want to remember it, I can't. Any pointers to help me would be greatly appreciated.

8 comments:

Mad Max said...

@ Saumya: This is what works for me. If I cant remember something, this means that i'm so focused that my brain is searching all the regions,except the one that matters. Forget about it and stop thinking about her. At some random point in time (hopefully soon enough), your brain will make the connection and lo behold you will remember her name. :-)

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I have had occasions where I've forgotten the names of people whom I know for a long time...(ofcourse, after a long absence)... Following are the tricks that I use...

i) Try introducing them to your friend or spouse (whoever is close by) and then appear distracted for a moment when you are just about to introduce and overhear what the other person is saying..:)

ii) If they dont recognize ur name.. U can easily figure it out...U can even quiz them and accept that you dont remember their name either..:)

iii) Cut short the conversation appearing to be busy and ask for their business card... If they dont have one, give them a paper and ask them to write their name and number...:)

iv) Forget about the whole deal... May be they were meant to be forgotten..:)...

nourish-n-cherish said...

Unfortunately, when I can't remember someone's name, and they seem to know my history, my guilt track takes over. Whatever else I try is a feeble attempt in my mind, and I fear they will figure out exactly what I am trying to do!

Manohar said...

@saumya: How could you be so callous?
She remembers you/your family/everythign and you can't even be bothered to remember her name?

:) *ding*

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

@saumya: mano is right!! that is not good...how can you forget such a person...:)

nourish-n-cherish said...

ada paavingala! I lay a trap, and walk right into it with my eyes wide open!

Manohar said...

@saumya: Tomorrow, if myself and suresh meet you on the road. You might forget our name and stare blankly and ask generic questions. We will enquire, how sriks and keena are doing and your response will be - 'how is your family?'.

Sigh! thats inevitable i guess.

nourish-n-cherish said...

You guessed that right buddy!